Chapter Seventeen

"Bilbo! For Pete's sake, what are you still doing with the Arkenstone in your possession?! I thought you given it to Thorin already?!" exclaimed Madison.  "I'm not planning on giving it back to Thorin, Madison.  This stone is the reason why he's gone mad, and it was Balin whom confirmed it! This same very stone caused Thorin's Grandfather to go mad.  And the only way to save Thorin is to keep this stone away from him as much as possible!" Bilbo explained.  "Bilbo, Thorin is driving everyone else mad by making them look for the sand blasted thing!" snapped Madison.   Bilbo sighed. "Madison, there is another thing--the Elves and Men are setting up encampment in the ruins of Dale.  They're here waiting on negotiations with Thorin about the Treasure." said Bilbo.  "What do you suggest we should do, Bilbo?" asked Madison.  "How are you injuries, Miss Madison?" asked the Hobbit. "I'm feeling a little better, why?" said Madison. 

 "Maybe you can help me go and visit with the Elves and Men. I'm going to give the Arkenstone to Bard." said Bilbo.  "You got a good point, Bilbo!" said Madison. "I'm planning on doing this tonight at Midnight! Meet up with me outside the Front Gate!" said Bilbo. "Okey, dokey!" said Madison.  After Bilbo had left, Madison sat down on a chair, with a look of distress on her face.  Seeing Thorin like this, and his unknown reason of getting angry with her, ached her.  An hour later, she could hear a knock on the door. "Who is it?" asked Madison. "It's me, Thorin!" spoke up Thorin.   "Oh." said Madison sadly, and she opened the door.  "Can we talk?" asked Thorin.  "Sure." said Madison, as she allowed Thorin to enter the chambers.   "Well, let's talk." said Madison.  "I've been a little harsh towards you lately, Madison and I'm sorry--I'm just under a lot of pressure right now with the Arkenstone missing, and the elves and men setting up camp in Dale. " said Thorin. 

 "Thorin, we'll talk more about this, when its the real you talking to me." said Madison. "What are you talking about?" asked Thorin, sharply.  "You should know what I'm talking about, Thorin--you're allowing the gold sickness to control you just like it happened to your Grandfather!" said Madison, calmly. "I AM NOT MY GRANDFATHER!!" shouted Thorin. "See?! That's what I'm talking about, right there!! So let me guess, you're not going to share some of the gold with Bard after you promised him you would?" said Madison. "No. Not one single coin!" grumbled Thorin.   Madison screamed in anger, and she stood up.  "Madison, this is no time to pick a fight." hissed Thorin.  "I'm not picking a fight with you, Thorin--I'm just trying to talk some sense into you! You're allowing greed to take control of you, and soon you know it, you will scare of your own kinfolk because of it!" screamed Madison as tears fell down her face.  "I'm not going stand here and listen to this nonsense!!" Thorin screamed back, and he left the room, slamming the door behind him.  Suddenly, Madison opened the door, and shouted at him, "Well let me know when the Real Thorin is coming back! Because I'm not going standby and live with a greedy monster!!" shrieked Madison, and she slammed the door behind her, as she went back into her room.   

  Hours later, Madison met up with Bilbo outside the Front Gate, and they set out together to give Bard the Arkenstone. By the time they arrived, they could see Gandalf standing in there as well.  "Madison! Mister Baggins! This is a pleasant surprise!" exclaimed the wizard. "Hello, Gandalf!" said Madison.  "What brings the two of you down here?" asked Gandalf.  "You're the witch who escaped from my dungeons are you not?" spoke up Thranduil.  "Yes I am one of them.  My other two sisters are in the Mountain. Now Bilbo, if you please its time for the peace offering." said Madison.  Bilbo nodded, and he explained to Bard, Thranduil and Gandalf of taking the Arkenstone, and his reasons why he is wanting to give the stone to Bard.  And then Madison spoke up, and as she spoken her love for Thorin,  she broke down into uncontrollable sobs.  Gandalf placed his hand on her shoulder.  "It's breaking my heart to see him like this, Gandalf." concluded Madison.  "It's this, Miss Van Buren, the two of you done the right thing and a brave thing to present the stone to Bard." said Gandalf.