Accepting Darkness

ALEX'S POV

Two apple slices and a thimble of water has been my daily meal for the past week. My stomach twists and turns and I continue to moan in pain. The little light I have is eliminated at the time I assume is night. No one ever comes in and I never comes out.

The only thing keeping me sane is the occasional footsteps signaling a passing guard. Sometimes I can hear the occasional scream and wonder who else is being tortured. My shoulder has no feeling anymore and I wonder if I will loose it one day. I examine in the dark and decide to take action.

I crawl to the door and shove my mouth through it. I see footsteps a couple feet away and I push my arm thought the hole. I wave my hand not knowing if someone is seeing.
Suddenly I feel a sharp pain in my hand. I jerk my hand back in the cell and curse.

"What was that for?" I complain.

"What do you want?" Someone growls.

"I got shot in the shoulder." I expain.

"I don't care." He says.

"Maybe not but your boss might." I persuade through the thick door. He sighs loudly and I can hear a click. The door slowly slides open. A big burley man standing with scruff on his jaw line. His eyes are a deep gray and his sharp jaw line is prominent in the dim light.

He unlocks me from the chains and I get up, rubbing my wrists from the pain. He puts my in cuffs and pushes me through the halls after throwing the bag over my head. He leads me through the halls as I cringe by the touch on my arm.

"Turn left." He orders and I do. We enter a through a door and I hear the click of a door shutting behind me. The bag is taken from my head.

In front of me a stainless steel table lays with tools sitting by it. He orders me to lay on the table and I do. He pulls my shirt away from my shoulder and I turn my head to see him a grabbing a sharp scalpel. He rubs my arm with a cream and I put my hands up in protest.

"Do you know what your doing?" I ask, apprehensive.

"Yes. Just don't squirm." He warms and I shiver before I put my head back down on the steel.

I feel the cold metal sharpness on my shoulder and I tense as I feel it break my bruised skin. I clench my teeth and grip the edge of the table.

"What are you doing?" I ask trying to ignore the pain.

"Trying to find the bullet. Now shut up." He orders and I go silent. The scalpel goes deeper into the skin and I can feel it touch a muscle. My whole body twitches and the man takes a sharp breath. He digs around trying to scoop up the bullet with the scalpel. I feel blood trickling down my side and I smell the metallic scent. The scalpel touches a nerve and I jerk. The man curses and starts to work faster. He touches a bone and I scream out in pain.

"Be quiet." He orders. I clench my teeth as he scoops up the bullet and raise it out of my body. He drops it into his hand and puts it in front of my face, excited at what he just accomplished.

"Congrats, now stitch me up." I grumble and he frowns. He grabs a needle and thread from the small cart and punctures my skin and starts stitching back and fourth. The pain isn't comparable to the previous so it goes quickly. I hear him cut the thread and tie it close to my skin. He pushes my shirt sleeve back up and orders me to get up. I do slowly and he cuffs me again and walks me back to my cell.

JAKE'S POV

"May I?" I ask the receptionist in front of the President's door. She looks up from her papers and nods silently. I open the door and slip in. The president seems to be drinking a glass of whisky and I wonder where he got it. He sees me and quickly guzzles the last of the drink and wipes his mouth with his sleeve. I sit down and look at him.