Chapter 2

When June returned home from her walk she found Olivia and Rose, her sister's particular friend sitting in he drawing room.

"Have you not heard? Apparently Emily danced four times with him." Rose said sipping her tea as haughtily was possible.

"Really?" Olivia asked, her eyes growing wide. June scoffed knowing that her sister had no idea why Rose had mentioned it.

"Olivia, do you know why four is so particular?" June asked.

"Of course she does," Rose said. "Everyone knows that three in the limit."

"And how would you know?" June laughed, taking a seat across from her sister and arranging her skirts around her.

"My mother brought me up like a proper lady," Rose said stiffly.

"Really? And tell me Miss Rose Cardmondy, how is a lady supposed to be brought up?" June helped herself to a biscuit.

"With the values of grace, elegance and modesty. She should be a dutiful wife and affectionate companion." Rose recited.

"And are those the only qualities a lady should possess?"

"They are among the foremost important."

"I see." June laughed gaily and ate another biscuit. "Where is mother?" She asked after the three had sat in a stiff silence for a while.

"In her room. She has a headache," Olivia replied. June nodded; her mother often complained of these sick headaches, and had them almost every day.

"I think I shall go and see if she is well," June stood and brushed the crumbs off her skirts and left the room and the girls to their talk.

"Mother?" June knocked on her mother's door and opened it, peering in.

"June dear, is that you?" Her mother asked.

"Yes mother. Are you feeling all right?" June asked.
"I do have a sick headache," Lady Taylor replied.

  Caroline Taylor, neé Fisher was the eldest of three daughters. She was a buxom woman with dark chestnut hair and she had a mortal fear of scandal.

"I do hope you feel better before Phillip comes."

"Thank you dear. Ah, here is Rebecca."

"Here you are Marm," Rebecca smiled cheerily and placed a tray of tea and scones on the bed.

"Thank you Rebecca, that will be all for now." Lady Taylor said and the maid bobbed before leaving. "June dear," her mother said once the door was closed. "Since Lord Alden has regrettably passed away we must find you a new betrothed as soon as possible."

"Oh mother, could we not at least wait until after Christmas?"

"We will be attending plenty of soirees and parties this winter and I am sure there will be many eligible gentlemen."

"Mother, why must I marry right now? I am only seventeen. Surely I can wait for a moment."

"I married at sixteen. You are the perfect age."

"Wouldn't it be improper for a girl who's betrothed has tragically died to immediately go looking for another?"

"You only need to make a few acquaintances, I am not asking you to throw yourself at them."

"Are you sure people wouldn't talk?" June asked, playing on her mother's fear.

"You only need to be in mourning for a little longing. After the first few weeks I am sure it will be fine," her mother said but June could see that she was worried.