Chapter 27

'Reason and love keep little company together now-a-days'

-Bottom, A Midsummer's Night's Dream

Ann O'Connor sat in the corner of Lord Graham's parlour. She sipped her tea and listened as Lord Graham complained loudly and long about women.

"If I could just wed the damn woman and have it done with! She as stubborn as a mule and there is nothing I can do to sway her."

"Than why do you want to marry her? Surely you could find another eligible girl," Ann tried not to look pitiful but it was hard when the man you loved didn't appreciate you as a girl but as a sister.

"But she is a woman of a rare breed. I would be hard pressed to find another like her in a whole sea of women."
"But if she doesn't want you than perhaps it is best if you do not marry her."

"Oh I don't know, why are you women so difficult?"
"Perhaps the more difficult we are, the more reason for you to keep fighting."

"You make it bloody difficult at that. I am glad I have you at least, where would I be without my reliable Ann?"
"I don't know," Ann said stiffly.

Other men found her lovely and charming and delightful in every way. If she had not been mixed, negro and white, than perhaps she would've found a husband here already. The only man her colour didn't matter to was Lord Graham it seemed and she was tired of being the indispensable, solid, comforting Ann. She wanted to be noticed by him, and not as a younger sister. Their relationship had been like that up until now, he acted as her guardian and she'd always been sure he'd keep her safe. She'd given advice and been content to love him from afar.

Now was different however and she need that comforting reassurance that she was loved by one man who would always protect her. She was almost twenty and not getting any younger. She needed comfort and home.

"Are you coming back to Yorkshire?" Lord Graham asked.

"Yes, my aunt is leaving me in charge of her household while she goes to visit her daughter."

"Hm, well I hope you know you're welcome anytime at Wigham Park, though I fear my uncle may come back and eject me from the premises."

"And your father? How is he?"

"Well, it's complicated but he seems to be well enough."

"Glad to hear it."

Things had been a little uncomfortable between Lord Graham and Marcus for a while. Lord Graham was a baron, nothing more and when his brother had handed his estate and title over to Marcus, making him a Viscount, Lord Graham senior was bitter to say the least.

"Lord Graham, a Mister Gillingham is here to see you," the butler was in the door way and Marcus sighed with irritation.

"What is that damned man doing in the city? Well, send him in. Ann, do you mind stepping out for a little while?" Marcus asked her.

"I should go and pay a visit to June, I'll see you later," she stood up and left the room, passing a squat little man in the corridor. He smiled stiffly at her and bowed slightly. She regarded him curiously but moved on, collecting her cloak and muff before stepping out into the bitter cold.

June arrived home after her meeting with Theodore to find her mother looking very stern and disapproving.

"Where have you been?" Lady Turner asked, taking in June's flushed cheeks and bright eyes.

"I was with a friend," June said sitting across from her mother.