Chapter 17

Henrietta looked up from where she had landed in the snow and saw the black hair and green eyes of Agnes Drew, her sister in law.

"Agnes, what are you doing here?" Henrietta asked, standing up and brushing off her skirts.

"Henrietta, how is Ben?" Agnes asked, her eyes widening.

"Agnes," Henrietta's brow furrowed. "You do know Ben is," she tried to say it but found she couldn't. All the while Agnes smiled vacantly.

"I was so pleased when I," she started but her face darkened. "He's dead, isn't he? That man, that awful man came and," she swallowed, and Henrietta put a hand to her shoulder.

"Agnes, he has passed away, you were at his funeral though, you should know that."

"That man!" She screeched, her whole body starting to shake. 
"Agnes, what man are you talking about?" Henrietta asked, though she had a sickening feeling that she knew.

"The killer! The one who murdered my brother!" Agnes shrieked so loudly that several people passing looked at them in alarm.

"You mean my brother? Marcus Graham?"

"Yes! He killed Ben only out of the spite of his heart!"

"Agnes, I know my brother is a horrid person and there is no excuse for what he did but I assure you, it was not out of spite that Marcus killed Ben. It was because he thought I would be safer."

"Lies! All lies! It was never so," Agnes was shaking now, so enraged that spittle flew from her lips as she cried: "I tell you the truth! Ben was in love with the same girl your brother was! Marcus was mad, oh so mad and he hunted Ben down."

"What? Ben was in love with me, no one else." Henrietta said, willing herself to believe it.

"No! You are selfish and wrong. My brother loved a woman he could never have."

"Agnes, you are mad, you do not know what you are saying!"

"Mad! Mad! That's what they all call me. I assure you Henrietta; my brother loved her long before he loved you."

"What? That is preposterous!"

"Of course, to you it is!" Agnes laughed, mirth wracking her thin frame, "yes, yes, it is mad to you because you were in love and you do not want to hear that truth because it may hurt you! Did it ever occur to you that you weren't the only girl in my brother's life? Of course not!" Agnes practically cackled in her mirth, "No, no you are too selfish to give anyone a second thought! Did it ever cross your tiny mind that my brother wanted to marry someone else? Not you at all?"

"What are you saying?" Henrietta looked at Agnes, a look of horror on her face.

"I am saying that you were too blinded not to see that my brother loved another, more than you!" Agnes hopped up and down and glee, "He was in love with the actress, he wanted the actress! Not you, you, silly girl, were just a substitute!"

"Agnes, do not be absurd," Henrietta said, her voice shaking.

"No one believes me! I'm the mad girl," Agnes cackled again, "But oh! I know the truth!" 
"Shut up!" Henrietta said, tears coming to her eyes. "Shut up!" She slapped Agnes who smiled wildly, laughing.

"You know I speak true!"
"Stop it, I don't want to hear it!" Henrietta screamed, turning her back and running once again, this time towards the house.

"You know it's true! He never loved you as much as he loved her!" Were the last words from the madwoman as Henrietta ran back to her aunt' house, slamming the door as she entered, shutting out what she knew was the bitter truth.