Chapter 28

'The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life.'

-Richard Bach

June, still shocked from Ann's actions, but feeling more reassured, took her seat next to Theodore.

"What will happen to Ann? Perhaps it was selfish to leave her." June said worriedly.

"She did it so we could leave, staying would just have made her efforts pointless." Theodore replied.

"And Lord Graham? Was it, fatal?"

"I don't know, she got him quite near the heart but it may not be as bad as it sounds."

"I hope you're right, as much as I have begun to dislike him I would not wish any serious harm upon him."
"As I recall three weeks ago, you were positively batty about him. Making eyes at him all time."

"Oh don't be so controversial, I'm sure you've had some infatuations that you regret."

"No, I think the female sex is more prone to fruitless obsessions." He said, but looked away, looking disheartened.

"I find that extremely offensive," June pursed her lips and Theodore smiled grimly, squeezing her hand.

The train ride passed uneventfully enough, June sleeping for most of it, talking to Theodore the rest of the time. The journey was in two parts, to Yorkshire and then to Wigham Park and then Woodsome Hall. At Wigham, Theodore went to his small room and collected the hatbox with the letters from Laura, well, his mother he supposed he should call her, and the drawing of June. After that, David, Lord Graham's coachman, agreed to give them a lift to Woodsome. There, June gathered a carpet bag of her simplest dresses and took some money before changing out of mourning and into a dark blue tea dress. David, who had agreed to wait for them, drove them back to the station. June offered him some money but he refused, saying he was always happy to help a friend.

They caught the train to Nottingham. Theodore' sister Bess lived close to the station and a fifteen minute walk took them to a small, neat brick house with a snow covered front garden. They knocked and the door was opened by a stout, care worn woman. June recognized her instantly as Theodore's sister because of her dark eyes and small, slightly turned up nose. Other than that there were no similarities. Where Theodore was tall and slender, Bess was short and chubby with plump cheeks. Her hair was a light brown and was braided in the back, though a few curls escaped. She was younger than him but a little older than June and when she spoke her voice was deceivingly low and husky.

"Theodore?" Her eyes widened and she burst out in a wide smile.

"Bess, how are you?" They embraced and Bess planted a kiss of his cheek before looking at June.
"Good God Theodore, who's this?"
"Bess, this is June Taylor, June, this is my sister Bess Corden."

"How do you do Miss June?" Bess asked, looking a little unsure.

"Please, just June." June smiled as warmly as she could; the events of the day had begun to hit her and she wanted nothing more than to sleep.

"Well, you best come in and explain. Millie's visiting for a while," Bess led them inside the hall which was clean and wood panelled. The carpet was a little shabby but of good make and the air smelt of basil. "It's the maid's day off so I'll show you to the room, Theodore if you can share with Millie if you don't mind."

"He can share with me," June said, steeling herself for the reaction. The Wilder siblings looked at her, shocked.

"You better explain your connection to my brother June, we can make that decision later." Bess turned away and led them up the stairs, though June was convinced she saw a flash of a smile.