Chapter 15

Theodore's ankle was sprained, the doctor had announced. He had bandaged it up and left, telling Theodore to stay off his ankle for a week.

"Are you really 'urt?" Susan asked, peering through the door.

"It hurts a fair bit." He replied.

"I am sorry to 'ear that and I reckon Lord Graham will be as well once he finds out."

"No, he will not be happy." And nor was Theodore. Something about his last encounter with June had shaken him. He could still remember the way she had looked at him while bringing him to consciousness. Her bright eyes full of concern and mischief, her mouth twisting in a smile.

"Did you hear me?" Susan asked, her harsh voice bringing him back to reality.

"No, sorry, what did you say?" He asked.

"I was asking you when you wanted to get married."

"Married, what?"

"You said we could get married, don't you remember?"

"No," Theodore said truthfully, "when did I say that?"

"Several times."

"Susan," he paused and looked at her bright hopeful eyes and he grimaced. "Susan, I don't think you understand," he began.

"What? Don't you want to marry me?"
"I," he struggled for a moment, "I never really wanted to marry you and I have no memory of ever speaking about marriage."

"You mean you was lying?"

"No, I," he sighed, "I'm sorry Susan," he said upon seeing the tears that sprang to her eyes.

"You lied to me! I trusted you and you lied!" She started to sob and ran out of the room, slamming the door behind.

"Susan!" Theodore called out after her but to no avail. He closed his eyes and groaned. A few minutes later Mrs. Dunlap opened the door, a fierce frown on her square face.

"Mr. Wilder what is this I hear about you and Susan? She told me you had promised to marry her and now you've broken that promise."
"Mrs. Dunlap, I said nothing about marriage. She was imagining things."

"I think it is very hard to accidentally propose to someone."

"I never proposed to her. I swear it."

"Than what is she going on about?"
"I honestly have no idea Mrs. Dunlap."

"I am not in the habit of arguing with my staff Mr. Wilder, once your leg has healed somewhat we will discuss this." She said and left the room, closing the door behind her.

***

"Henrietta is seventeen, fairly pretty and has excellent manners," Marcus said. He was sitting across from the Baron Frawley, a middle aged man with grey hair and startlingly large green eyes.

"She is very young, perhaps my brother would be a better match." The Baron said, sipping his brandy thoughtfully.

"Who is your brother?"

"He is a baronet: Sir John McCarthy, only thirty years of age and his fortune is about three quarters of mine."

"Do you think he'd agree to this match?"

"I do not see why not. I shall ask him presently. He lives in Surrey alone you see, a bit of a historian, spends most of his time reading."

"I shall be glad to meet him, my sister will return shortly and they shall meet."