Chapter 21

Family squabbling is the greatest evil of all-Jane Austen

   Marcus smiled broadly as he saw the stooping figure enter the smoky pub. He waved gaily as the man made his way over to the small table.
"Marcus," he said grimly, sitting down.

"Henrietta will be married the day before Christmas Eve." Marcus replied in way of greeting.

"Who is the unlucky fellow?"

"Sir John McCarthy, a baronet."

"Do you have any proof?"

"Come to the wedding," Marcus handed over an invitation and the man took it. He glanced at it and looked back up.

"What do you want now?"
"To have the house in Dorset back. Uncle James will be returning soon and he'll want Wigham back."

"I cast you out of the house for a reason and you know that. Why do you want it back now?"

"If Uncle James returns I shall have nowhere to go. He was never particularly fond of me you know."

"Neither am I."

"But come now, you said if I managed to get Henrietta married again you'd give me something in return."

"Maybe I lied."

"Even you wouldn't be so devious."

"Yes I would be, but whatever the case the Dorset house remains mine."

"The East Wing is all I ask for."

"You'll take the West Wing and that is all."

"You're being unreasonable. The West Wing is tiny. I want the East Wing. I managed to Henrietta betrothed and that is an impressive feat."

"Anyone could do it with a large enough dowry. No one needs to know of her origins."

"I also killed Laura Carter so that nosy Gillingham couldn't confirm his suspicions." Marcus said triumphantly and took a swig of ale.

"The East Wing than," the man stood up.

"Thank you, I knew you'd come to your senses father."

"Hmpf," the man swept out of the pub, leaving Marcus content and pleasantly tipsy.

   June returned home happy and excited for the upcoming nuptials. The chance meeting with Theodore had also improved her mood and the scheme to get him into the celebrations had delighted her to no end. Her good mood ended however, as soon as she stepped into Woodsome Hall.

"June," it was her mother, looking steely and June braced herself for the unpleasantness which was surely to follow. "Please come into the sitting room, we must speak with you," she led June into the aforementioned room where both Olivia and her father sat.

"June please sit," her father looked weary and reluctant, never a good mix. June sat on the armchair and her father began. "Your actions at the theatre with the valet was nothing to be proud of and you gambled with our family's good name. You have been asked by a respectable and good gentleman to marry him. Despite your atrocious behaviour he has been good enough not to withdraw his offer. He came to us while you were out and informed us that it was his intention to keep his promise, putting emphasis on the fact that it was ultimately your choice. He forgave you and said you were young still and he does not hold your actions against you, nor does he blame us for the way we raised you. However, if you continue to behave in this silly and girlish manner we are sure that Lord Graham will reconsider his offer."

"Lord Graham!" June cried out. "I already told him several times that I do not wish to marry him and that we will remain friends, nothing more. I was under the impression you were talking about Sir Harkness, another perfectly decent fellow."