Chapter 9

Theodore returned to Wigham Park a little apprehensively. He went up to Lord Graham's study to inform him of Mary and Henrietta's behaviour. He found his master prostrate on the settee, a book open and resting over his eyes.

"Sir?" Theodore said quietly. Lord Graham lifted one half of the book to peer at the intruder.

"If you bring more bad news Wilder I swear I will pummel you." Lord Graham said and dropped the book back over his eyes.

"Er," Theodore adjusted his cuffs; something he did when he was nervous, and coughed. "Well I don't have Henrietta for one thing. Mrs. Carlton seemed most adamant in her dislike of me."

"Wilder," Lord Graham growled and sat up.

"Sir?"

"I am having a party in Miss O'Connor's honour tomorrow and I want Henrietta to be there. Go tell Martin to ready the horse for another visit to Lancashire."

"Very good sir." Theodore left the room, taking the stairs two at a time with this long legs.

He reached the front door and wrenched it open only to find himself face to face with a rotund man who had little tufts of red hair on his balding head and a sweaty, pasty complexion. His small wire spectacles perched on the edge of his bulbous nose.

"I am here to see Lord Graham," the man squeaked.

"Who are you?" Theodore asked, stifling a laugh.

"Mr. Artemis Gillingham," the man said, his mouth twitching.

"Please step inside." Theodore moved aside and the man walked in on squat legs. The top of his head came up to Theodore's chin and Theodore smelled the delicate aroma of stale gin and mould about the squat little man.

"Mr. Gillingham," it was Yates and he stopped in front of him with a disapproving manner.

"I am here to see Lord Graham," Gillingham said self righteously.

"Follow me sir," Yates led him away and Theodore stepped outside.

The coachman was not happy, to say the least.

"What do you mean I gotta go to Lancashire again! Poor old Terry is tired," he said gesturing to the large black stallion.

"Than take Pansy."

"It'll take an extra half hour with her. Can't we go tomorrow?"

"Cedric, the master wishes to go to Lancashire and he will be obeyed," Theodore replied calmly. Cedric muttered a curse and Theodore raised an eyebrow.

"Fine, I'll get the coach ready. I'll wait outside the doors in ten minutes," Cedric moved to take the horse from her stall and Theodore returned to the house.

He was passing the study when he heard raised voices. Like any good valet he stopped to listen.

"-not any business of yours," Lord Graham's voice said.

"I am the deceased's lawyer so I believe it is," the squeaky reply came from Gillingham.

"Damn the deceased! Some whore that has nothing whatsoever to do with me. What was her name?"

"Laura Carter." Was the reply and Theodore felt his blood run cold as well as a heavy hand on his shoulder.

***

June and Olivia left their brother's house at half past one after they had dined on some very find partridge and trifle.

"So who shall chaperone us if Phillip cannot come? I know you are very anxious to see Lord Graham again," Olivia said slyly.