Chapter 26

If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.

—James O'Barr

The rest of the day June spent decorating the house for Christmas. Everyone seemed cheerful enough and June did her best to join in with the festivities. They put up tinsel and wreaths, filling the air with the smell of pine and mulled wine. Out of everyone, Ada's happiness was the most infectious and June soon found herself genuinely enjoying herself.

After a while June noticed her father had vanished and when she asked, her mother told her he had gone to rest in the bedroom. June snuck off and upstairs to the bedroom her parents were staying. She knocked and received no reply. She pushed the door open a bit to see her father sleeping, his brow furrowed, breathing laboured. She crept closer and saw he was sweating and feverish. On his face there was a bad rash and with fear rising in her breast, she pushed back the covers to find that his arm was covered in the raised red lesions. She swallowed a shriek and covered him up, before going to her own room where a basin of cold water sat. She washed her hands several times, as if trying to rid herself of the disease. After she was sure her hands were thoroughly cleaned she went downstairs to join the rest of her family.

"How was father?" Olivia asked, taking her to the side.

"He looks worse than before," June said, keeping her hysteria down. "He had rashes and seemed to be sweating."

"No, the smallpox has returned?"
"I don't think it ever really left."

"Will he recover?"

"I can't honestly say, I hope so."

"Ada recovered, hopefully he can." Before June could reply her mother came over, a determined look in her eyes.

"June, may I speak with you for a moment?"

"Of course," June moved aside, an uneasy feeling stirring in her stomach.

"I have heard that Ada asked Lord Graham to break off the engagement, is that true?"

"Yes, it is." June said resolutely.

"But Lord Graham, being as gracious as he is, has agreed to keep the engagement in tact."

"But mother you see, Lord Graham is really not gracious; he knows I do not wish to marry him, yet still he persists."

"I have told you many times before that this marriage will be good for you and for the family. You must go through with it."

"I will not argue any further with you mother, thank you," June turned on her heel and returned to helping her sisters decorate.

Henrietta sat in her new travelling clothes on the train next to her husband. John was speaking passionately about George Hamilton's ( the mayor), policies and how if they were to avoid absolute monarchy, reform must happen. He suddenly stopped, conscious of Henrietta's eyes on him.

"Am I frightfully b0ring? You must tell me honestly when I am boring you. I have spent too much time with myself I fear, I must be tiresome to be around, I am sorry."

"Not at all, it is nice to be around an intelligent person. Too often is society sucked into pretty mindless conversations, if they can be called that. Not enough people use their minds for the right purpose. I am glad my husband is so clever, I wouldn't marry you if you were any other way."

"You flatter me m'dear, I am glad you are not the empty headed sort of girl one meets these days."

"May I ask a question?"