Chapter16

Theodore's ankle had healed nicely and though he could not put much weight on his leg he could still work and perform his duties. It was late one afternoon when Mrs Dunlap and Susan found him polishing Lord Graham's shoes.

"Mr. Wilder, a word," Mrs. Dunlap sat down across from him, Susan next to her. Theodore shifted uncomfortably. "Susan is accusing you of breech of promise. This is a very serious accusation." Mrs. Dunlap said.

"I am not sure where Susan got this idea of marriage, I never asked her." Theodore said in defence.

"When you was drawing me in the pantry you said we'd marry," she said, a whiny tone coming into her voice.

He had said that.

He remembered.

"Susan, that wasn't anything serious. Please don't take this the wrong way but, I never wanted to marry you. I only said that so you'd stop going on about it."

"What?" Susan's eyes grew wide with horror. "I thought you loved me!"

"Susan," Theodore bit his lip, sighing.

"Did you actually ever say you would marry her?" Mrs. Dunlap asked.

"No, I didn't."
"Susan?"

"I suppose not, but it's still indecent." Susan said, picking at a spot on the table.

"I see nothing serious, as long as Mr. Wilder does not dally with your affections any longer." Mrs. Dunlap stood and left the room, leaving a very irritated Susan behind.

"I trusted you Theodore," she said crossly.

"Susan, I never asked you to marry me."

"But it was implied."
"I'm sorry if I've done anything to offend," he said earnestly and stood up, leaving the room and Susan's glare.

June sat at the table silently eating luncheon. Her mother chatted about this and that but June's mind was full.

The letter from Ruth had shocked and horrified her and she couldn't grasp the new reality.

To be sure, Ruth had never been a saint, but murder, that was different. To actually murder someone in cold blood, especially someone you loved, was appalling. And what about Lord Graham and his part in all this?

It really was none of Lord Graham's business, so why had Ruth given him the note?

The detective.

Wilder had said something about investigating Lord Graham and Ruth. Perhaps he knew something.

"I am going out mother," June said, standing up.

"Couldn't it wait until after luncheon?" Lady Taylor asked.

"I'm finished, may I be excused?"

"I suppose so." Her mother waved a hand and June left the dining room.

Thirty minutes later June was by the servants' entrance of Wigham Park. She knocked on the small wooden door and it opened, revealing a tall, square faced woman.

"How may I help you?" She asked and when she saw the quality of June's dress she smiled.

"I am here to see Mr. Wilder." June replied and the woman let her into the kitchen where two maids were cleaning.

"Please come into the common room. I will fetch Mr. Wilder. Who shall I say is calling?"

"June Taylor."

"Just a moment," June was led into a small common room with several chairs and a large fire place. She sat down and Mr. Wilder soon entered the room, a slight limp in his walk.