prologue

This is who I am. This is who we are. Our feelings define us. We are unseen. Unheard. Unwanted.

That is what we are.

If we are even anything.

-
"Alena," My assigned mother Estela paused, cutting up some onions and putting them into a mixing pot. "Have you noticed the straight couple down the street lately?"

I munched on the dry fruit-loops, gulping them down with some water. "Uh," I swallowed. "Yeah, they seem friendly."

"I don't want you talking to them," Estela squeezed the lime over the soup. "Ever," she added sharply.

"Why not?" I frowned. The couple down the street seemed pretty cool; They were different, not like the rest of the world with woman and woman, man and man; They were woman and man.

"Because I don't want you around those kind of people," Estela huffed, stirring the soup.

"And what kind of people would they be?" I asked, putting my dishes in the sink.

"Straight people, Alena. They are sinners," Estela replied, turning off the stove.

This was usually her response, seeing she was so abnormally obsessed with her bible, that and going to church. I hated it. Why couldn't people love each other the way they wanted to love?

"Go call your mom down for dinner," Estela told me, setting the pot aside and grabbing some bowls.

I hopped down from the kitchen stool and walked out, heading towards the main hallway.

"Alex, Estela said food is ready!" I softly said, walking into my other assigned mother's work room.

Alex looked at me in a scolding matter. "What did I tell you about knocking?"

"Sorry, Alex. But... Estela told me to come-" Alex cut me off.

"I heard. I'll be there in a little bit," Alex announces, shooing me off. I slowly leave the room, and walk back into the kitchen.

"She'll be here shortly," I told Estela, sitting down. Estela handed me my bowl of soup, smiling kindly.

"Eat up, love."
-

If you are very confused, this is where I explain some stuff. Being straight is what would be frowned upon in the alternate universe they live in, and being attracted to the same gender would be the correct way in the world. People who are of color (african american, hispanic, latino/Latina, indian, whatever it is as long as they're not white) Are the rulers of the world, while being white would be "disgusting" and they would have racism called upon them.

KNOW THAT, I am not racist. This is merely for FICTION purposes, and trying to show that this would be an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE'S point of view.

If you have any other questions or concerns just DM me. (I sound so formal lolol)

Thanks for your time (-:

I love you!!!

xox, claire