Chapter 14

Will's POV

Nationals came up and suddenly we were boarding the bus to Nationals. I sat down next to Henry like usual. He had his feet on the seat in front and was rapidly texting.

"Who you texting?" I asked as I sat down.

"Someone," he said and continued to text. I leant over and looked at the name.

"You are texting Liv?" I asked.

Liv Matthews is girl at our school that Henry has had a crush on for at least a year. She is really nice and isn't popular but isn't unpopular. She has short dark hair that comes down to just past her shoulders. I have to admit she is quite pretty and really nice.

"We were working together for a project and now we are talking," he admitted.

I smiled and he looked embarrassed.

"Finally, ask her out," I said as the bus started moving.

Like usual we spent most of the time talking as a team. I was really nice to have a team where we weren't just teammates, we were also friends. It made travelling together a lot more pleasant. Henry was texting throughout most of the trip.

We stood at the pool entrance and Coach led us in. All the media were there and the second I walked in I got bombarded by everyone. I was getting asked a million questions from what is my favourite race to whether I was going to the Olympics soon. I rolled my eyes and continued walked.

Suddenly everyone turned around as the door opened again. The media stopped talking to me and were looking at this person who I couldn't see. Suddenly I could and I felt Em's hand grip on my shoulder. Sophie had just waltzed in. Not only was she here but she was wearing our team tracksuit.

"Fancy seeing you here," she whispered so only I could hear.

I didn't have anything to say. I was speechless that she showed up.

"I'll see you later, teammate," she smirked and headed off.

Em didn't let go of my shoulder until she was well out of sight. Henry stood on the other side of me and we walked into the pool. It was the same place every year so I knew the pool well. We didn't start competing until tomorrow so I just sat down.

The Hotel was pleasant and I was sharing a room with Henry like usual. He had stolen the bed next to the window so I had the one closer to the door. Henry liked the one further from the door so that if a murderer came in, they would murder me first and he had time to escape. I always countered that with the fact that a murderer would come in the window.

We all had takeaways in Coach's room as we discussed everything from school to other teams here. It was close to eleven before we headed back to our room. Everyone always knew that Henry and I were the last ones to actually go to bed but Coach didn't mind as long as we were ready for swimming the next day.

True to tradition we were both still awake an hour later. I was attempting to get homework done but Henry was constantly distracting me. Eventually I gave up and went to bed. Henry must have as well because he went silent.

I woke up on time and we headed to the pool together after breakfast. There weren't too many people there already meaning that I could avoid the media. I noticed that Sophie was standing off to the side. She had headphones in and was absentmindedly dancing.

Em and Ruby were on the first race. So was Sophie for that matter. Em won her heat and Ruby came second in hers. I would like to say that I don't know where Sophie came but I do, she won her heat as well.

My first race was the 100m butterfly. I was in lane 4 because of how well I have done the last few years. Butterfly is one of my favourite strokes and jump up on the block ready to start. I push off and it feels really nice to actually be in the water. I won the race easily and I managed to avoid answering any interview questions.