Chapter Two

(Late November-December; Emma is 18)

After dad was arrested mom had to become the sole provider. So she got a job. She was now brave, bold, courageous and hardworking. Mom really changed from being shy to a totally different person. She started dressing up to the latest fashion and paying no attention to Nile and me. Nothing new there but still. All she was concerned about was her work. Nile didn't mend her ways. I became invisible to the world, it seemed as though like the world just forgot me, well everyone except my best friend and Nile who keeps on taunting me.

The rays of the morning sun shined through my window, and woke me up. It was surprising that the sun woke me up and not the shouts of me sister or my mother. I used to wake up to the smell of mom making breakfast in the kitchen but that's no more. I pulled the covers off and slowly got out of bed. I began to walk towards the bathroom when I heard the chirping of the birds in a nest in the tree next the house, I peeped through the window and there I saw two beautiful hatchlings being fed by their mother and a thought ran through my mind 'I wish mom was caring like that of how the bird cared for its' hatchlings.' I proceeded towards the bathroom again, I took a bath. As I was preparing to go to school I heard a mumbling, so I listened more carefully, it was my sister in the other room. She telling her friends over the phone that she wished that she never had a sister. In my mind I said that she'll regret saying those same words someday, someday. When I was finished dressing, I walked out my room and down the stairs into the kitchen, I saw a sticky note on the counter. I walked over and picked it up, it was a note with some money in it, I began to read it, the note said: 'Emma take half and give half of the money to Nile.' I took my half of the money and I went upstairs to give Nile the rest, as I approached her bedroom I heard her talking, so I didn't want to disturb her but I still knocked on her door anyway, she opened the door, "What do you want pest?"

I gave her the money wordlessly. She took it, looked at me in disbelieve, I guess that was because I never disturbed her before while she is talking to someone. I stared at the ground as she glared at me.

***

As I stood at the corner of the street waiting for the bus, Nile and her friends pulled up, "Holy sh!t you're still waiting on the bus, you need to get some friends! Just get a life too while you're at it!" I ignored her once again and they left after they couldn't get a reaction out of me.

Shortly afterwards the bus pulled up, it stopped and I got in. I sat near the window, my usually seat. The bus took off. On the way to school, I heard some girls behind me saying that Nile told them that I was a real pest at home and that I'm this and that, so I just ignored, pretended that I didn't hear what they were saying and looked through the window viewing all what nature has to offer. I watched the beautiful blossoms and the animals.

It's my senior year. I just have a few months until I'll be off to college.

The bus stopped at school, I got off. I looked around, Antonio was standing near the fountain as per usual. I approached him.

"Good morning, Em, how are you this morning?"

I didn't reply as I was in my thoughts, thinking about what the girls were saying. "How are you this morning?" he asked again, this time a little louder.

"Oh uhm I'm good, oh and good morning," I told him about the sh!tty morning that I was having, he advised me to just ignore the negative things and focus on the good things.

"What would you like to become in the future?" he suddenly asked.

"A writer or maybe a journalist, I don't know." I'm not quite sure what field of work to go into, "What about you, what would you like to become?"