Chapter 31

Chapter 31

“Dad,” Erik sighed, “Alexandria explained everything, we’re all caught up. We probably know more than you do.” Erik’s father gaped at us before realizing the spectacle he was presenting and recomposed himself.

“You know,” he repeated softly. “I’ve been working non-stop on this mystery, I thought that without knowing everything, Damien would always be in danger and by association; so would Erik.” He looked dead on his feet.

“When was the last time you slept, or even rested for a bit?” Erik inquired noticing the state his father was in. He guided his father to the couch and went to get him a bottle of water.

Max White shrugged. “There was too much at stake, caffeine has been my constant companion over the last few days,” Erik’s father admitted.

“Just out of curiosity, how did you figure out what I am?” Alexandria asked curiously. “Things involving angels are generally the best kept secrets.”

Erik’s father frowned. “I made a deal with someone who knew an angel. Of course I didn’t know that at the time, I just knew he was knowledgeable in supernatural things and I wanted to see if he knew anything about your unusual ring. It took a while to track him down but as soon as I did and I found out what he knew I came here to tell Damien.” He stifled a yawn; his days of not sleeping were catching up to him.

“Well, I must say, your dedication is remarkable,” Alexandria replied.

Nicole was watching Max White sympathetically. “You can lay down in the spare room if you want, to regain some strength?”

Max White shook his head. “I wouldn’t want to impose, although, if you have coffee or tea, I could really use a cup or two.” Nicole smiled and nodded. She headed to the kitchen and started opening up cupboards.

“This has been a good chat, but if you’ll excuse us, Gabriel and I need to talk about a few things,” Alexandria stated. Gabriel walked to the spare bedroom and Alexandria was about to follow when I grabbed her wrist.

“This talk you’re going to have with Gabriel, it’s about the dreams I’ve been having, isn’t it? Aren’t we done with all the secrets?”

Alexandria inhaled deeply before putting a small smile on her face. “Not yet but soon. And this talk I’m having with Gabriel is just to go over some things in private. But when we’re done, we’ll fill you in, because it involves you. The reason we can’t talk about it right this minute is because there are some angel secrets than humans can’t know, and there is no exception or loop hole to that rule. The penalty for breaking this rule is death. And I don’t very much feel like dying today.”

I nodded. “Fine, but I expect you to tell me all that you can when you get back.” Alexandria didn’t respond, and soon she was shutting the door to the spare bedroom behind her. I just settled back to wait. Erik and his father were watching me carefully as if they thought I would do something rash. I rolled my eyes. I trusted Alexandria again. I trusted that now she would tell me the truth.

Nicole came back and handed Max White a red cup filled almost to the brim with steaming hot coffee. She didn’t say anything, she just headed back to the kitchen, presumably preferring to be alone then be around us. Maybe she thought that we would ask her questions about what Alexandria and Gabriel were talking about. She had nothing to worry about; from me that is. But there was always a chance Erik was too impatient to wait, normally that was the way he was when it came to important matters.

After what seemed like half an hour but in reality had probably only been half of that, Alexandria and Gabriel emerged from the room. They both looked solemn, had they discussed something other than the problem of my dreams?