Chapter 22

Chapter 22

“What happened here? I was only gone for a short period of time and somehow you guys managed to get yourselves in trouble without setting a foot outside the house,” Max White’s voice said making me stir and open my eyes. I was still on the floor. I propped myself up on my elbows and looked around at the state the room was in.

“Damien’s attacker took a part-time job delivering pizza,” Erik replied wryly. He was kneeling beside the couch that Liz was lying on. He didn’t seem worried so her condition must not be serious anymore.

Judging by his father’s expression that he had no clue what Erik’s comment meant but he ignored it, deeming it unimportant. I slowly got to my feet rubbing my head; I still partially had a headache.

“How did you drive her off? Did she leave shortly before I arrived here?” Max asked. Erik shook his head as he lifted the bottom of Liz’s shirt so he could check on her bandaged injury. As I walked closer I saw that her wound was still bleeding a bit because her bandage was slightly red with blood. But it didn’t need to be changed yet.

“I distracted her and Erik managed to hit her with a knife. But it didn’t seem to affect her much,” I stated. Erik’s father frowned. “She managed to subdue Erik and I know she could have killed me then and there but she held off, saying something about how it’s not my time to die.” I glanced at Max White hoping that would make sense to him but clearly it didn’t.

“Well that’s just more proof that she has something planned for you. I would watch my back if I were you,” Max suggested. The idea was sensible and any normal person would likely do exactly that.

But it made me mad to even consider it. “No, I’m done looking over my shoulder, never know when something will come out of nowhere and catch me unaware. I’m going on the offensive. I’ll find whoever she is and end this,” I announced, my knuckles clenching the back of the couch tightly.

“And how do you expect to do that?” Erik asked watching me carefully. He probably thought I was going a little crazy, maybe I was, but I felt that this was the right thing to do. I wouldn’t let anyone persuade me otherwise. This time I’m going to make the first move.

“Not sure yet,” I admitted with an amused smile. “I’ll figure it out as I go along?” Erik rolled his eyes, not impressed. I looked down at Liz and sighed. “How is she?”

“She’s just sleeping. Her wound seems okay, it might take a while to heal but other than that she’ll be fine,” Erik answered. “I want to make sure she pays for hurting Liz, so I’ll help you figure out how to get back at her.”

“Don’t forget she also did something to you. It can be revenge for being put under a magically induced coma,” I pointed out. “I can’t let you do that. You’re just recovering yourself; it would be safer if you stayed here while I deal with this myself.”

Erik snorted. “I’m sorry but that’s not happening. We work together, protect each other. I’m not letting you go and confront her alone, especially since she managed to get away from three hunters with only a stab wound, which may I remind you didn’t seem to do much.”

I sighed but knew he had a point. I looked around the room once more wondering how I was going to explain what had happened to my parents. They wouldn’t be happy, not to mention the fact that they didn’t know about the fact that someone had made it their mission to have me die all because of something that had to do with Alexandria.

Then I caught sight of something that seemed out of place. There was something left behind, right near where my attacker was standing when she was hit by a knife. I bent down and grabbed the plastic bag with a few small leaves inside. What was strange about them were that some leaves were purple, while others were blue. I opened the bag and was about to pull a leaf out.