Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Taking a midnight run?” Alexandria asked nonchalantly. Her brown hair was lightly curled and put into a ponytail. Her lips were shiny with lip gloss but the red colour made me think of what she was doing before she had made me get in the car. Had she been drinking someone else’s blood? “What possessed you to do that?” I sighed and looked out the window at houses and trees that were blurred at the speed the car was going. “Aren’t you going to answer me?”

I crossed my arms. “Can you just take me back to the safe house?” Alexandria smirked in response and only sped up. We neared the safe house and I was surprised. I hadn’t thought she would actually listen but then she drove past it without even slowing down. I craned my head to look at the house and noticed Alexandria was watching my reaction. “Watch the road,” I snapped turning away.

“I think I can manage to drive well without looking at the road all the time,” Alexandria replied. “Now tell me why you were out this late.” This was exactly what I didn’t want to talk about with her.

“I needed to clear my head,” I told her. I hoped that she would just accept my answer. The realistic part of me knew that she was very intuitive, especially when it came to me. She would know that I wasn’t telling her everything.”

“Sure you did,” Alexandria said sounding sceptical. I didn’t care if she believed me or not. “How long were you out clearing your head? It’s not safe to be out at this time of the night for a long time. You should be more careful. Who knows what you might encounter?”

“Yeah, I could have encountered a vampire and gotten into their currently speeding car. Good thing that didn’t happen, oh wait, that’s my situation, right now,” I replied sarcastically. “What are you even doing here?”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure that vampire is an amazingly awesome driver, and you’ll get back home safe and sound,” Alexandria laughed, playing along. “As for what I’m doing, that’s for me to know and you to wonder about. I have to keep being mysterious.”

“Speaking of home, can you turn the car around and drive me back to the house I’m staying at? You know, the one you just sped by,” I sighed. “It’s late, and I want to be in my bed instead of here.

“Ouch, careful, you’re close to hurting my feelings,” she joked. “As for taking you back to the safe house…all in good time. Be patient for a bit. I am the one driving here. For all extensive purposes, I’m in charge and I don’t feel like driving you back just yet.”

“If you won’t take me back I’ll just have to find a way to get back by myself,” I stated sounding more confident than I felt. Sometime I really hated Alexandria when she was in control of everything, I felt helpless.

“Oh yeah, and how will you accomplish that, if I may ask?” she laughed. “This car is going way faster than the speed limit so it wouldn’t be safe for you to jump out.” Despite implying that she didn’t think I would get out of the car the click of the doors locking drew my attention to the door. The locks were pushed down and I was locked in.

“Was it really nessecary to lock me in?” I inquired. I’m not going to harm myself just to get out of this car. She would eventually take me back to the safe house; I just had to wait it out. Plus, even if I did get out of the car, Alexandria would probably just make me get back in.

Alexandria nodded and smiled at me innocently. “Of course, I care about your safety.” That might have something to do with it but it wasn’t the only reason she locked me in.

“Obviously you don’t care that much about my safety as you say you do,” I countered quickly, not stopping to think if that was a good idea. I couldn’t let her know how much I knew about the secret she was keeping.