Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I didn’t have to wait long. Soon two black cars pulled into a nearby parking lot and nine people came out. The amount of hunters was a good number. We didn’t know what was in there but the number ensured that we would be prepared for anything.

My father walked over to me. “Where’s Liz?” I uncomfortably avoided his eyes. “Damien,” he prompted knowing I was keeping something from him that he would want to know.

“Well, you see,” I began, “you’re a bit misinformed about my part in this. I did find out what you wanted me to but, um,” I couldn’t figure out a way to say this nicely and not irritate him that I hadn’t followed his orders.

“She’s not here, is she? Why would you risk doing this alone? You don’t have to prove yourself,” my father told me angrily. He sighed. “We’ll deal with this later.” I knew that he didn’t want to hear my explanation but I was going to try and tell him anyways.

“I was fully prepared to come here with Liz,” I stated. “It’s just that when I went to her room she wasn’t there and I didn’t want to let you down. I suppose my boredom while staying at the safe house was also a factor in my decision but I was confident I could do this to your standards. And that’s what I did. I found out what you were looking for and now we’re going to bust some strange things that are going down in that building,” I said pointing to the building.

My father stared at me annoyed that I would so blatantly ignore his order in front of other hunters. For him power was everything and I had just undermined that. I resist the urge to sigh when I realized my decision to pursue our conversation now wasn’t smart. I should have just said nothing.

“I don’t really care for your reasons for taking on this assignment alone, like I said; we’ll deal with this later. Now, let’s go inside,” he commanded speaking louder so all the hunters could hear. Every hunter was attentive and I soon realized that my father was in charge of this mission. “You five,” he said, gesturing to four others and myself, “wait outside the building for my signal, then follow the rest of us inside.”

I felt a flare of irritation knowing why he put me in that group. If there was any danger the other group would get most of it and my group would be in less danger. I wanted to argue but this time I just kept my mouth shut. If and when my father would talk to me about today I would have a couple things of my own to bring up.

The hunters crossed the street and my group stood guard outside as my father’s group busted through the doors and stormed in. I felt sure that we would have to wait a while and so was surprised when my father came out and motioned for us to come inside.

“As far as we can see there is no one here,” my father stated. I frowned. There had to be someone hiding in the building. Could they have found out about our plan and left? “It doesn’t look like there was anyone in here for a while.”

I just didn’t understand what went wrong. I was sure in what I had seen but the evidence on the first floor clearly disproved my evidence. I had no pictures and so without anyone else seeing the proof; my evidence would just be disregarded. They wouldn’t believe me over what their own eyes showed them.

I walked into the middle of the room and looked around. The room was pretty bare, peeling, white paint covered the walls and there was a dusty coffee table in front of a disgusting-looking, stained, old couch. Massive spider webs were in the corners of the room and I could see that there was an infestation of cockroaches. This place might as well be demolished, it didn’t seem like anyone got any use from this building.

A layer of dust covered everything. I walked a bit further and spotted some stairs, presumably leading to the roof. The dust displaced off the rustic wood floor rose up and I sneezed. If anyone had been here recently there would have been signs of them walking because dust would have been moved.