Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Whatever Alexandria had gone to do, it ended up taking her the whole day. I was beginning to think I wouldn’t see her again before I went to bed. I had accepted that when I heard a noise on the balcony outside my window.

I pushed my chair away from the desk and got up. I slowly walked over to the balcony and sighed when I saw Alexandria standing there.

“It took you long enough, who did you think it was?” Alexandria asked. I shrugged and slid open the door. She made no move to come in. was she planning on leaving soon?

“Do you want to come in?” I asked not answering her. She glanced around the room hesitantly then shook her head. I frowned but joined her out on the balcony. I didn’t really understand her reluctance to coming inside the house. The air was a bit chilly and I was glad I was already wearing a sweater. “So what happened?” Alexandria raised an eyebrow confused. “What did you have to do today?” Recognition dawned in her eyes.

“Oh nothing really, it was a false alarm,” Alexandria said dismissively. I shook my head. She was acting so calm about it now but when she was talking on the phone she was anything but.

“Really, because it didn’t sound like it,” I replied. Alexandria rolled her eyes as she realized I wouldn’t just drop the matter. She sat on the railing of the balcony and crossed her legs.

“Nicole just overreacted about something, when I got there everything was fine,” she said. She didn’t look like she was lying but I couldn’t know for sure, considering her aptitude at making sure no one found out anything she didn’t want them to.

“Nicole doesn’t strike me as a person to overreact,” I persisted.

Alexandria sighed. “Why does it matter? Everything’s fine now, just trust me on this,” Alexandria said. “I can’t tell you what this was about, it doesn’t concern you and I’m not sure Nicole would like it if I told you,” she said apologetically.

I remained silent; it had definitely looked as if it concerned me earlier when she was talking to Nicole over the phone. However, pressing the matter wouldn’t make Alexandria tell me, it would only make her more cautious to ensure I wouldn’t figure anything out. If I was going to find anything I would have to make her believe I was dropping the subject.

“Alright, I trust you,” I told her. Alexandria looked visibly relieved for a moment before she was able to hide it. “So, where are you going to stay the night?” I said switching the subject.

“At a nearby hotel, and before you say anything, there is no way I’m staying here,” she said. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

“Why not?” I asked at the risk of sounding like I was whining.

“I wouldn’t feel safe in a hunter safe house; I wouldn’t be able to sleep soundly,” she explained.

“Is that the only reason you don’t want to stay here? Nothing would happen to you,” I replied.

She laughed. “You can’t promise that.”

“Why don’t you trust people?” I inquired suddenly curious. Maybe if nothing else she would give me this answer.

“Over the years, it has been proven to me that the only one I can rely on is me,” Alexandria whispered caught up in her memories. “Not trusting anyone makes it easier if they betray you in some way. That way it won’t be such a shock.”

It explained why Alexandria wasn’t very forthcoming about herself, why she was so guarded. It made me want to break down those walls, and find out what she kept hidden from the world.