Chapter 8

Chapter 8

For the rest of that day Erik was gone, presumably trying to get more information on the spell he would attempt to do to find out what happened to me when I was attacked. I was worried because of how he portrayed the spell to be and hoped that everything would go fine.

My family wasn’t going back home anytime soon because there was more of a need for them here. The hunter society in near Ottawa were having a difficult time controlling the supernatural creatures around these parts and so had enlisted the help of my family. I knew they didn’t really want to be here after their ordeal but they wouldn’t turn down someone in need.

My mother and sister were already gone, they were planning out strategies with the local hunters, and my father was leaving to join them. Tristan wouldn’t be taking part of anything yet, he was ordered to stay home and rest up. I stopped my father as he was about to go out the door.

“I can’t stay home,” I told him. “I need to do something, anything. I need to get my mind off some things.” Those things were Alexandria’s mysteriousness and the seemingly random attack on me. I hadn’t even done anything to merit that but sometimes supernatural creatures became unhinged and the reasoning behind their actions was flawed at best, non-existent at worst.

My father hesitated. “I don’t know,” he said thinking it over. “I’m sure your mother would prefer you stay at home and not do anything too dangerous.”

“But I’m not talking to her, I’m talking to you. Please, let me help. I could be useful, you never know,” I protested sensing that his resolve was weak. “I’ll be careful and it would be better than having someone you don’t know do that job.”

He ran a hand through his dark almost black hair and I spotted a few white hairs. He seemed more tired after the recent events, like the years were catching up to him.

“You’ll take Liz with you?” he compromised. I nodded my head, eager to get out of the house and do something exciting, on my own terms. “There is this one abandoned building in the heart of the city, which we think is weird. Could you check it out? Report what you find to me, but don’t go inside, if there is something going on in there. Two people aren’t enough.”

I impatiently nodded. “Yeah, yeah, I know, you can trust me.” I was just glad that I had something to do for the day, instead of dwelling on things I have no control over.

My father gave me an amused smile as he told me the address then left the house. I ran upstairs, skipping steps in my hurry. I knocked on Liz’s door but there was no answer.

“Liz?” I called out. “Open the door. My father said you and I need to check out an abandoned building in the city.” I still got no reply. What could she be doing that she wouldn’t even answer me?

Pressing my ear against the door I focused on trying to hear something from inside, anything. After a while I tried the handle but found it locked.

My eyes narrowed with suspicion and I stepped back to get a better look at the door. Was she even in there? If she was in there she would reply right? I frowned and went to my room. I stepped out onto the balcony looking in the direction that Liz’s room was in.

I saw that her windows were thrown open and noted that there was a tree nearby. It was perfect for coming and going without being noticed. Liz wouldn’t have any trouble climbing the tree to get back in her room; after all she was a hunter.

Question was why would she be so secretive about what she was doing? Lately it seemed that everyone was keeping secrets. Was it contagious or something?

I pulled out my phone and called her. I was curious to see what she would say when she found out that I knew she had left. The phone ran a bit and I leaned against the balcony railing as I waited to see if she would pick up.