Chapter 10

chapter 10

“I think I was set up,” I said. “I thought I saw blood on the roof but when I went in with other hunters the place looked like there hadn’t been anyone inside it for a long time. When my father and I got to the roof, he thought I was seeing things and left. I stayed behind, for a reason I can’t quite remember but that was when I was attacked.”

“Attacked?” Liz repeated. “Again?” she sounded surprised. I had gotten over the novelty long ago and just accepted that my life had changed, in a way that involved me taking on more dangerous things than usual. “You really do have horrible luck. I thought that you wouldn’t be attacked during the day, where anyone could see but I guess not of lot of people would see if you were on a roof.”

“It doesn’t matter because she was still invisible. But now I know that I was attacked twice by the same person, she confirmed it,” I explained since Liz didn’t seem to get it. Her eyes widened then she impatiently put her hair up into a messy bun to get her hair out of her face.

“She, so you saw her this time?” I shook my head. “How do you know she was a girl?” She went back to looking confused. I got the feeling that part of her mind was elsewhere, even if she was investing a lot into considering my problem. I believed that she could help me think about this but I wanted Erik to be there too so he could offer his insight.

“Her voice, it was kind of obvious?” I chuckled at how worked up Liz was getting. Sometimes it seemed like she didn’t care yet other times she clearly showed that she cared. I liked the latter version of Liz, for the obvious reasons.

“Was she supernatural? Could you tell what she was?” she inquired then rolled her eyes. “Never mind, of course she is supernatural, both of your attacks involved mysterious unexplainable things and what that happens, it’s because magic was involved.”

“Yes, she was definitely something, but she’s different, I can’t tell what she is. She can make me hallucinate though. Don’t supernatural beings have to be really strong to manipulate a person’s mind?”

“Yes but that doesn’t mean that you don’t stand a chance. Remember you have Erik and me on your side,” she reassured me. I noticed that she didn’t include Alexandria in her sentence of people whose support I had. It could be because I hadn’t told Alexandria about the attack but that didn’t mean that I wouldn’t ever tell her even when things got worse. “So she’s not a witch?” Liz asked for clarification.

I paused. “She possesses magical abilities but I can’t confirm that that is what she is.”

“Well maybe Erik will find out something with that spell he’s going to try. Wanna head back to the house and see if he’s there?”

I shrugged. “Might as well. I can’t think of anything else we can do at the moment without more information.”

“Oh, I sure can,” Liz muttered under her breath. I was sure she hadn’t meant for me to hear that but I didn’t want to let her off the hook.

“What was that?” I asked her and she sheepishly avoided my eyes.

“It’s not important. You would never agree to it anyways,” she explained bitterly. I studied her, all traces of the carefree girl I had seen moments before had vanished. She had lost the twinkle in her eyes and she looked grim. The only thing that had ever made her act like this was Alexandria.

“It’s about Alexandria, isn’t it?” I guessed. At first she didn’t reply but that only confirmed my thoughts. She was obsessed with conspiracies to prove that Alexandria wasn’t good or on my side. The good part was debateable at times. Alexandria was just who she was, I didn’t think she was easily changed.