*Ch 12: 1988*

Onika P.O.V
*
*
I nervously walked up the porch. I took a deep breath before I knocked on the door acouple of times. I looked down at my shoes. After a minute the door slowly opened.

I looked up at her "Hey ma." I gave her a weak smile. She didnt give one back.

"Why you here?"

"A mother's daughter cant come check up on her mom."

She rolled her eyes. "Im good. Good bye." She closed the door. I put my foot down from the door closing.

"Ma please stop being childish. I just want to talk. Please." She looked at me and gave in. She opened the door so I can walk in with my hands in my jacket pockets. I looked around. "Wow I see that umm you redecorated." I looked at her.

"Well I thought I should change. Since I aint got to worry about you breaking anything no more." I glanced at her. There was a moment of silence. She sighed. "Sit. Sit." She motion me to sit. I sat on the leather couch she sat on the recliner. I cleared my throat.

"So um wheres Cube?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "The hell im supposed to know?" I shook my head. Again, silence fell over us.

"Man you ok? You look sick."

She coughed, "I'm good. Im good."

I was still not convinced. But i shook it off. "Umm so I'm getting signed to a record company mom." She glanced at me. "You know, with Cube." She stayed silent. "I might actually get me some real money."

"Money for yourself." She looked out the window. "Thats why you left."

I scoffed. "Look mom. I aint come here to argue iight. You know why I left. I had a reason too. So dont even go there. Please." I said calmly.

"So whats this music you doin?"

"Rap."

"Rap?" She chuckled. "Rap aint no fuckin art Nika. You crazy for thinkin that."

I sucked my teeth. "If its away to express yourself, its a art. I dont care what others think about it."

"So what about school, Nika. Huh?" I smacked my lips. "You cant get no job with out education."

"You got a job. And you dropped out in the 10th grade. I can always go back."

"Thats my point. A job thats playing less than minimum wage. I barley paying the bills." She pointed to stack of bills on the coffe table.

I sighed. "Look. When I get signed to Ruthless. I'll actually bring real money to the table ma. You ain't got to worry bout nothing."

"Is it white people money?"

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"Exactly what I mean. Who controlling to that money?"

"The manger is white."

She shook her head. "I dont want it." She simply said

"What doesn't it matter. You wont have to worry about losing the house cause you aint paying the bills. Cause of me."

"You don't understand Nika. You dont."

"Nah I understand clearly. You dont want the money. Cause its handed by white people. And I know deep down you dont want me even siging to Ruthless. Cause its to much 'black people'. aint I right?She stayed silent. I shook my head. "Wow I have a raist mother. What was so bad that my father did to hurt you. Tell me so I can get a better understanding."  She stayed silent. "Look I aint got time for this." I grabbed my bag. "When you want to tell me. Call me. You know where im at." I made my way to the door. I seen Cube leaning on the side on Eric's car talking. I Walked towards them.