Chapter 23

Jemma's hazel eyes were glued to the coffee cup, as she swigged the tea around. She was thinking, very hard. Coulson had informed her that she must leave, she couldn't stay.

A sigh escaped her thin lips as she frowned deeply.

"Jemma?" Her eyes flickered to the voice, it was Fitz. She immediately sat up taller, flashing him a soft smile.

"Fitz, hi," she mumbled, her words not very clear. For the past three days, all she could think of was leaving her bestfriend, her boyfriend.

Leo sat down across from her and buried his chin in the palm of his hands, keeping his eyes locked on her.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" He asked softly, still a bit shook up from the news.

Instead of responding with words, she bobbed her head up and down a few times. She had just gotten Fitz back, her Fitz back.

"Jem, I don't want you to leave-," she spoke up, "But, Leo." He placed his hand on her knee and shook his head, silencing her.

"But you have to go. This opportunity is..is huge for you, Jem. Don't you understand that?" His voice was full of proudness; proudness for his girl.

"You've been working so hard. You have always dreamed of working for Stark, with Stark. This is the opportunity of a lifetime." He spoke with gentleness and reassurance.

"If you don't go, you'll only live to regret it." Fitz finished what he intended to say to her and waited for a response.

"If I go, I might regret leaving you," and she did have a point. But she couldn't see the outstanding opportunity right in front of her, within her grasp. She just had to take it.

"But I've been working so hard to be able to work along side Mr. Stark." She admitted and nodded her head. "Exactly, Jemma. Which is why you're going, alright?"

As much as she wanted to protest, to shout 'no!' As much as she wanted to stay, she had to leave and had to accept it.

So, with no further questions, she stood up and walked towards her room to pack her bags.

_________________

Within a few hours, there was a knock on her door. She muttered a small 'come in' and continued digging through her closet.

When she turned around to see who had made their presence in her room, she found it to be Skye. "H-hey," she stuttered. "I heard you're leaving."

The way she had said it made it seem like.. like Jemma had made the choice? But she hadn't. Coulson and Fury made the orders for her.

"Yes, well, it's just for a short time." She cleared her already empty throat and packed a few more shirts in her suitcase. "Just until things are.. back on track around here."

The young biochemist didn't want to admit why she had to leave; because she supposedly makes Fitz worse.

"I assure you I'll be back in a few months or so. You're allowed to call me anytime you want, I'm just a phone call and.. well, 10,000 miles away." She added a short laugh into her tone and was thankful Skye returned the gesture.

"I'm really going to miss you, Simmons," Skye stated, loud and clear and very quickly.

Simmons remembered when Skye had first joined the team, her and Fitz had worked with Skye quite often. They had become fast and great friends.

Even when Skye had 'betrayed' them to help her boyfriend, Simmons and Fitz had forgave her quickly.

"Oh, Skye." She stopped packing up her clothes and turned to face her fellow friend and walked over to her. In her usual, awkward manner, she wrapped her arms around Skye into a sweet hug.

Simmons remembered the first time the two had hugged, and it was different for Jemma. She had never had a fellow girlfriend who cared about her so well. It was usually always Fitz.

"I promise I'll be back soon, or I'll attempt at least. For now I'm off to.. live out a few things on my-" she hesitated for a moment, as if she had lost the words. "What is it you call it.. A bucket list?"

She raised an eyebrow questioningly until Skye nodded in agreeance. "Right, my bucket list. Working for Stark Industries is present on the list. Of course Fitz was supposed to travel along with me," she mumbled the last part to herself.

It was too non-understandable and Skye decided not to ask her to repeat it. Instead she took a few steps back and rubbed her palms on her jeans. "I guess I'll see you.. later?" She asked, a few tears welling in her eyes.

"Yeah, a few months I hope." Jemma nodded and brushed some of her medium length hair behind her ear. "Bye Skye," she waved a bit and Skye did too before turning and walked out of the room.

She headed down to her bunk as a few tears slipped from her brown eyes. She was definitely going to miss Simmons and she didn't care who knew.

Jemma sighed heavily, partially not wanting to leave. Instead of any more regretting, she finished packing her bag and zipped it up tightly.

When she was sure it was secure, she placed the palms of her hands on it and then clasped her hands together.

She was ready to go, and she was nervous as hell.

_______________

Hello my babies!! I'm back and I can honestly say I have improved! I definitely understand Jemma's and Fitz's characters a lot more. I understand their love for each other and all the sacrifices they have made for each other. So, the updates will be more complex from now on! I may also write a new story based on S3, but I'm not too sure yet.

How did you guys enjoy this chapter? Is there anything you would like to see happen between any of the characters? Is there anything you would like to happen in general?