Day Four

"Simmons. Agent Simmons, wake up."

She opened her eyes and saw blank white walls. It was then that she realized she was still in Fitz's room.

"Good morning, Agent Simmons. You slept in here all night. I figured you might want to sleep in an actual bed."

She was right, a bed sounded absolutely amazing at the moment but she couldn't bare to leave Fitz.

"Oh, no thank you. I'm perfectly fine here, I want to stay with him."

She looked down at their hands and realized they were still interlocked. She knew it would probably stay like this until he woke up.

"Well, okay, Director Coulson is waiting in the lobby. Is it okay to send him in?" "Of course, what's stopping him?"

The doctor walked out and in walked Coulson.

"Good morning," Coulson said and she looked up at him. "Hello, sir."

"How is he doing?" She shrugged her shoulders, "I'm not very sure, his brain activity is normal though."

There was an awkward silence for a few moments but, thankfully, he broke it.

"How are you holding up, Simmons?"

It was very good question but she wasn't quite sure she could answer it herself.

"I'm doing okay, I just wish he would wake up. I really miss him."

"Me too." Coulson stated as he stood up and walked out.

~.~

Skye had finally convinced her to leave Fitz and clean herself up.

She went back to the bus, took a shower and threw on some more comfortable clothes.

She grabbed a few of her bare essentials and returned to the medical center.

When she returned, Agent Tripp was sitting next to Fitz with his arms folded across his chest.

"Ya know, I don't think he ever really liked me."

Of course, she knew why now. She had always flirted with Agent Tripp.

"Oh, no. He liked you he just..well, it's complicated." "I get it, Simmons. I know what went on down there."

She furrowed her brows and breathed very deeply.

"I've only told Ward, how do you know?"

A grin appeared on Tripp's face and she knew instantly.

"But, you could see the way he looked at me so you knew."

She shook her head and smiled, too.

"I don't know how I didn't see it, I just. I don't know, Tripp, I'm so confused."

She felt a hand on her back and she turned to face him. Yes, she may have flirted with him but that was because she didn't know how Fitz truly felt.

~.~

He eventually left and she was all alone with Fitz.

"I know you can't hear me, but I really do love you Fitz. I'm sorry it took so long for me to catch up, but I was just oblivious."

She had occasional visitors throughout the day, and she was so happy that so many people liked Fitz.

But, when she heard a phone ring and she realized it was his, her heart stopped.

She read the screen and it was his mother.

She had no idea how she was going to tell her; she knew she'd want to see him but all of this was classified.

But it was rude to ignore, so she picked up.

"Hello, Fitz? You haven't called in a few days."

"Hello, Mrs. Fitz."

There was a silence on the other end of the phone.

"Jemma? What are you doing picking up Fitz's phone? Oh my, that sounded rude. I'm sorry."

All she could do was chuckle.

"It's okay, Mrs. Fitz," she paused for a moment. "Fitz and me were in an accident about 5 days ago. We were trapped underwater and there was only enough oxygen for one breath."

"And since you're the one fully talking and breathing, he must've made you take it."

Simmons instantly felt guilty, why hadn't she made him do it? He was just as great a swimmer as her.

"Oh, my little Leo. He's such a sweetheart. Oh god, is he-?" "He's alive, but barely breathing."

She heard a sigh of relief.

"Thank god, Jemma. Will you keep me posted?" "Of course."

The phone call ended.

"Oh, Fitz, you need to wake up," she stroked his forehead. "Everyone needs you, I need you."

And with that, she planted the sweetest and softest kiss on his forehead.