Chapter Seven-Empty

The sun beats down on me full force. I should have left at night. 

I twirl my braid through my fingers nervously, as I make footprints in the uneven sand. Not too much farther. I silently wish I didn't have to do this. 

In the back of my mind, the night my mother died replays. 

My father sits, emotionless on the couch. Staring at nothing.

"How could you!" I scream. 

"How could I what, Adira, SAVE YOUR LIFE?" he says, veins popping from his neck.

" She didn't have to die. You didn't have to call them,"

"But I did, do you think I would have if I didn't need to?" he cries. 

"WHO DO YOU THINK SHE LEARNED IT FROM! YOU HIT HER, DAD, YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT BACK!"tears stream down my face. I leave, and go to the foster home with Sun. That was the night we ran away, the night we moved into a town where nobody knew our name. 

I wish I was there now.

A town takes form in the distance, small and insignificant. 

I'm home. 

I walk down the empty streets, memories flooding back like hot, thick rain. 

"Adira!" an elderly voice cries out. Ina!

"Ina!" I yell, turning to see her. Her gray hair whips in the dry wind, her skin cracked and wrinkled. She approaches me and gives me a hug.

"It's been years, darling!" Her voice quivers. 

"I'm here to see my father," I say. Her eyes brighten.

"Oh that's wonderful, well I'll leave you too it," she says. I smile. 

I think I'm ready for this now. 

My house is old, rickety. It creaks at my weight as I step up to the front door. I hesitate before knocking loudly. 

The door creaks open, loud and annoying just as I remember it.

"Adira," My fathers voice chokes. 

"Dad," I say, he pulls me into the house and locks the door. 

"You left," he  growls. 

"I'm sorry," I say. To be honest, I thought he would react differently. 

"You won't run away this time," he grabs me by the wrist, dragging me up the stairs. 

"Dad, stop!" I say, clawing at his arm. 

He throws me in my old room, and locks the door. 

I run to the door, pounding on it. "Let me out, now," I yell, using that weird low tone I used with Kid. 

"You can't run away now," He says. 

"Dad, I won't, I want to talk, I do," I say through the door. Silence.

"Dad," I say again. He's gone. 

What happened to him? He's more than the reason my mom's dead now, he is also ruined. I can't picture his smile anymore, just the bruises on my arm from his iron grip. 

He isn't my father anymore. He is twisted now. My whole family has gone insane. I'm next, huh?

My combat is limited without killing him, he isn't a potential Kishen so that would mean I killed a human. 

That would make me insane. 

I take a deep breath, and look away from the door to inspect the room. The window is blocked by a bookcase. (Figures.)

I silently turn my arm into a blade, slicing easily through the wooden door. My father is nowhere to be seen, so I run to the door. He stands blocking it. 

"Let me out," I growl.

"No" he shakes his head, tears glisten in his eyes.

"Not like this Dad, you ruined your chance," I say. His eyes soften for a moment before getting the same blank expression he had the night my mom died. Fear takes it's place in my soul, I turn that fear into my weapon, a three section staff appears in my hands.

"I really don't want to fight you, but I will," I say. He charges forward, a steak knife being removed from his boot. 

I block it with the middle section of my staff. I jump back, I twirl the left section and right section in different directions. I swing them both, hitting him in the head on either side. He falls to the ground, unconscious. 

"Goodbye, dad," I say, I walk out of the house, Sun runs down the street towards me. 

"Sun!" I yell. 

"Adira, next time you leave like that I'm going to be with you, okay?" he says. Anger in his eyes vanish. "Are you okay?"

Tears pour out of my eyes. I shake my head. He silently hugs me, a cloud surfacing beneath me. We rise slowly into the sky. 

"What happened?" he asks, concerned. I tell him everything, including the previous night with Stein. 

"Is she gone?" he asks after I finish, referring to the witch in my shadow. I search my head for her but fine nothing. 

"She's gone," I conclude. Sun sighs a sigh of relief. 

"I'm sorry you had to do that," Sun says. 

"It had to be done," I say. The rest of the trip is silent and awkward. Since I know it's easier to hold the cloud when there is less weight on it, I turn into my scimitar form. 

When we get back, Tsubaki, Maka, Blackstar, and Soul run to the door, asking questions at the same time. 

"I'm fine, I'll tell you guys about it later,"

"No, you'll tell us now," Blackstar says. I sigh, annoyed. 

I tell them about the night with Stein, seeing Ina and my father. I intentionally leave the part about me crying in Suns arms.

Kid bursts through the door, his hair matted with sweat, Liz and Patti following closely behind him.

"Whats up?" I say, the look on his face is almost unreadable, the only way to explain it is panic.

He says the words in silence, everyone's eyes on him. 

"Lord Death, he's gone," he stutters in the awkwardly quiet room.

"What?" Maka asks. 

"My father, he just, disappeared. He's gone,"