Chapter 2

______________________________________________________________________________________

Time : 5:15 PM

Date : May 8 , 2015

Quote : “rain slowly slides down the glass as if the night is crying.”   ― Patricia Cornwell 

______________________________________________________________________________________

Mackenzie Sullivan . . . . .

             I sat on the edge of my bed , with my legs crossed and fiddling with my nails . I turned body around and glanced out my window , staring at the mysterious house that I didn't even notice Corahn had stepped foot back into the room .

          "Babe , you alright?". He asked , noticing that my attention was drawn out the window . I nodded and turned back around , facing him . "So , who was that?". I asked out of curiosity , looking into his eyes . He rubbed the back of his neck , looking everywhere but me . I stood up , walking towards him until I stood 5'3 in front of him.

         "Who was you on the phone with?". I asked , for the second time . "Um , well it was my ― Uh , B-Baby mama". He stammered , I rolled my eyes before asking another question . "Y'all still together?".

        "No". He simply replied , and I nodded believing him because he never gave me a reason not to believe him in any sort of way. "What she want?". I said , breaking the awkward silence and walking out the room with him following behind me. "She , just asked if I could bring her some diapers". He replied to my question as I pursed my lips nodding. "Well , go get her some diapers". I said rambling through my refrigerator.

      "Okay". he said , as I heard his footsteps go upstairs and come back down . Then the front door opened , and closed back. I walked out the kitchen and towards the door , locking it .   I glance over at my wall clock , and it's now 5:20 . I turn around and walk back into the kitchen , creating a nice sandwich. I sat on the stool , at my island and bit down into my sandwich.

      Then I hear commotion coming from outside . I Scrunch up my face and finish chewing a piece of my sandwich and walking towards the door . I peeped out the window , and saw children in the street playing. I stood there and looked out the window watching them play , then the boy's football flew over the backyard gate of the House Across The Street . Everything , seemed to be moving in slow motion . The boy ran into the yard , and climbed over the fence. I shook my head , bringing myself out of my daze and running towards my door unlocking it quickly . As I felt my hands beginning to sweat , and shake .

     I opened the door and ran out , leaving my door wide open and running across the street . I was on the side walk about to step into the yard , but my mother's voice was holding me back .

     He's too far gone , let him be .  They've got him now. . . The whispers of her voice , fulfilled my ears . It was like the wind blew by and I could hear her whispering into my ears . That's a different way to warn me. A tear slithered down my face , because I had a feeling I could've saved the little boy. My breathing became uneven as , my vision became a blur from the tears the filled my eyes.

    There was a tap on my leg , and I looked down to see a young girl with black shoulder length hair. I Wiped my tears away , and kneeled down in front of her. "Y-Yes". I Stammered , and she wiped a tear that managed to make it's way out my eyes away.

    "Have you seen my brother?". She asked , seeming to attempt the best grammar she could possibly make. "W-Well , um you br―". I was cut off , by a woman yelling next door to my house .