Chapter 7

Chapter 7

          “Mom! We’re home!” I said, walking into the house. I went into the kitchen and she was standing there with an apple for each of us. “Hey, honey. How was your day?” she asked. “Okay, I guess,” I said, shrugging. “There’s this new kid; Darren.” Mom didn’t look surprised. “Mm- what’s he look like?” she asked. “Mom!” I said, staring at her. She as waiting for an answer. I sighed. “He had black hair and green eyes,” I said. Mom nodded. I took the apple from her, while Jacob and Kelli went pounding up the stairs. I crunched into the red-pink skin, savoring the cool taste. “Where did Jake and Kelli get to?” Mom asked. I shrugged. “Probably up to their rooms.” She walked up the stairs while I twirled my hair on my left index finger.

               I threw my apple core out, and grabbed my iPod. I put my ear buds in and got out my homework. I turned on Patent Pending and started Math. Homework on the first day. So cliche, I know. I was humming and singing the occasional word, when ‘Anti-Everything’ came on. I stopped doing my Science homework and sang every word. It reminded me of all the curious stares I received today. Darren. It’s his fault. Why did he even ask for my name? That just made it worse.

               ‘Samantha the Great’ came on, so I decided I was finished. I ripped my headphones out and got up, stretching. “Kelli!” I called. She ran down the steps towards me. “Want to take a walk?” he stood there for a little, contemplating, but shook her head. “No? Ok, then.” I waved and she smiled. I walked out the door, shutting it behind me.