Chapter 9

Chapter 9

                  Darren led me to the kitchen and told me to sit down. I did, and it felt awkward. “So... how do you like school?” I asked, to fill the silence. “It’s ok, I mean who really likes school, Liz?” he said, laughing. I blushed and he noticed. “Lizzie, it’s fine. Everyone seems to like me alright,” he said, laughter gone. I closed my eyes and suddenly ‘I’m Not Alone’ came into my head.

                  “I think I should go,” I said, getting up and starting towards the door. Darren nodded and said, “Ok, I’ll come with you.” I nodded and we left his house. I was having a little trouble walking, because of me knee, so I leaned on Darren. He was sending shocks of electricity through me, but I ignored it. I put my bad leg on the floor a little too hard and I hissed in pain, closing my eyes and gritting my teeth. He righted me and said, “Are you okay?” I shook my head, and he set me down gently against a tree. I sighed and looked up at him. He was crouching in front of me. To avoid getting lost in his eyes again, I looked away and started humming ‘I’m Not Alone.’ “What is that?” he asked. “What is what?” I asked embarrassed he heard. “That song you’re humming,” he said patiently. “Oh, only Patent Pending,” I said. “Liz. I meant what’s the name of the song?” Darren asked, making he look into his eyes. Oh, those eyes. “Uh, um... It’s ‘I’m Not Alone’,” I stammered. “Will you sing it for me?” he asked hopefully. “Oh, I don’t know...” he touched my face. “S- sure,” I said stupidly. He smiled while I cleared my throat. “Don’t tell anyone, okay?” I said nervously. He chuckled and nodded.

                    “I write songs for Pam from the office ‘cuz I think that she’s hot...” I started, but his eyes urged me on. I sang my heart out to him. I finished with the last, “I’m not alone...” Darren started clapping and I blushed, startled. “You have a beautiful voice,” he said lowly. I blushed even harder.”Thank you,” I said. “We better get you back to your house,” he said. I nodded. We started walking, and I could tell he wanted to hold my hand. I didn’t let him.

                      We arrived at my house and I said, “Well, thanks. I mean for everything. It’s probably better if you don’t come in. My mom can be a freak sometimes.” He nodded. I started to turn around, but he kissed me on the cheek. Then he quickly walked away. I touched my cheek. Maybe he isn’t so bad after all.