Chapter 28

Chapter 28

            I stared at the woman. "Okay, first of all," I started, "I have a Mom already. Second of all, I'm hungry." Darren cracked up and I smirked. "You're always hungry!" he said. The woman looked a little hurt, but what would she expect? Me to just accept her as my Mom when I have one already? She smiled at me. "No," she said. "You see, I'm your real mother. That's why you're an angel. Your father should be coming back soon. He's a guardian, almost like Darren, but your father looks after newborns. It's a very important job."

           I gave her a disbelieving look, "Stop lying already." She started to get frustrated, "I'm not. The reason why you had to be with that family is because I wanted you to grow up normally and act like a teenager. I had Darren go and retrieve you." When I heard Darren's name, my stomach got this tingly feeling in it. I shifted to make it go away, but it wouldn't. Adam, Eve, and my 'mother' got knowing looks on. Darren, as usual, was oblivious.

         "What's your name, then?" I asked. She smiled, "My name's Sephrina, but you can call me Seph." I nodded slowly, "So Jacob, Kelli, and Jeremy aren't really my siblings?" Her smiled disappeared, "Yes, I'm afraid. You know Jenny right?" I nodded, "Just met her." Sephrina nodded, "She's your sister." My eyes bugged, "But she's old! Like twenty-five!" Sephrina smiled, "I'm not a young as I look, Elizabeth. I named you, you know." I shook my head, "No, no. No! That can't be right. I love Jeremy too much. Way too much!"

        She looked at me sadly, "I understand that, Elizabeth. But once you come live up here, you won't be able to talk to him ever again." Tears sprung to my eyes. A few rolled down my cheeks. A sob escaped my throat and I had my face in my hands. I stood up, holding out my hand, "Nope! No! Not happening! Darren, take me home!" Darren looked to Sephrina for permission. That got me mad. "I asked you, Darren!" I said loudly. "Not Sephrina!" Darren led me out of the house.