Chapter 29

Chapter 29

        I walked outside and huffed. Darren watched me with dull amusement. "You know, she really is your mother," he said. I turned and glared daggers at him. He held up his hands in a gesture of surrender. I turned back around and said, "I want to go home." Darren touched my shoulder. "Liz, you might want to reconsider," he said. "Your mom really loves you." I turned around with a sigh and hugged him.

       "It's just . . I don't want to just leave Jake and Kelli. And especially Jeremy. I love Jeremy a lot," I said. "I mean, yeah, she might be my mom, but I can't just leave. Can't I just make something up and keep in touch?" Darren pulled back a little and looked me in the eyes. "Liz," he said. "I don't know if you can. I was raised here." I sighed and turned back to the house. "Let's go ask, then," I said. 

       We walked back to the house and I opened the door cautiously. Adam and Eve were gone. Just Sephrina was still here. "Sephrina," I said. "Is there any way to just leave and keep in touch? Like, make an excuse for not being there?" She tapped her chin for a moment. "Well, there might be one way.." I nodded eagerly. "Well, you could say you're going to college early. Say it was an offer you couldn't say no to." I thought about it for a moment. "Seems good to me," I said. "All the same, you can't stop me from seeing Jeremy." She nodded, "I know."