Chapter 8

Chapter 8

               I walked along the sidewalk, enjoying the warm summer breeze. Not too hot, yet not too cold. I stared to think about what Kelli told me on the way home, ‘I saw this really cute boy in your class today. Darren, is it? Anyway, Rose told me he liked you. She said she could tell. Do you like him?’ Maybe he does like me? That might be the reason he keeps staring at me. I looked to the new house, and noticed the ‘For Sale’ sign wasn’t there anymore. Huh. Someone must’ve finally bought it. I walked in front of the house and noticed movement on the porch. I turned my head.

                 “Darren?” I asked, before tripping on a bump and falling. I scraped my knee and my fight hands was bleeding badly. I sucked air in and put my hand in the air, palm down. Blood dripped from it. “Liz?” Darren came running towards me. “Let me see, let me see,” he said impatiently. He yanked my hand toward him and I gasped in pain. He glanced at my face and noticed as a tear squeezed out of my eye. “You need to come in,” he said.

                    He dragged me into his house, me protesting loudly the whole way. “Darren! I’m fine, really,” I explained. He ignored me, just led me to the bathroom. “Darren!” He said, “Here, put this on your hand.” He ignored my protests, so I guess the only thing to do now was listen to him. I sighed and took the paper towel. He looked relieved. It was wet, and it stung. I hissed, closing my eyes. He got Neosporin out and spread it on my knee. It didn’t hurt that much; I just grit my teeth. He put gauze over it and told me to take the towel off my hand. He put Neosporin on that, too. I screamed it hurt so bad. He led me to the sink and took my arm. He leaned towards it and his hair went near my face. It smelled like apples and mint. I sneezed. He finished on my hand and looked at me. I smiled and said, “Thanks.”