Chapter 4: I Really Miss You

I closed Max's door behind me, bringing my hand to my mouth as I felt the tears spill over my eyes. Hearing his voice made me go insane, looking at him hurt, I ruined everything between us, everything. I wiped my tears and took in a deep breath walking away from Max's door, hoping that he didn't hear me cry. The dog whimpered at my feet, looking up to me with his big, black eyes. Ever since Max and I fought, dog wouldn't leave my side.

I walked around the citadel slowly, dog right at my ankles as I looked around. I peered into the garage, where Max and I got close, where I fell in love with him. I sighed, turning away from it and walking in the opposite direction. I eventually sat in a corridor, pressing my back against the wall and letting out a deep sigh. Dog laid his head in my lap, whimpering slightly and looking up at me. I scratched his ears gently.

"I love you, you know that?" I whispered to the dog, and he nuzzled into me. His head shot up suddenly as footsteps approached us, he growled a little, but jumped up when he saw Jeet and Ariadne, running to them jumping and licking, greeting them happily. Jeet played with the dog as Ariadne slid down next to me, leaning against me.

"You alright?" She asked, fixing my bandanna on my head and giving me a soft smile. I bit on the inside of my lip, thinking about Max, he's all I could think about lately.

"Yeah. I'm fine" I sighed, standing up and wondering if I should go tweak Max's car a bit, even though we weren't in a good place, he let me do what I could, I was good at it.

"Phoenix..." Ariadne called softly, and I turned around to meet her gaze. "I think you should fix things with-"

"Just stop" I spat, turning on my heel and walking into the garage, dog left Jeet and followed me in. I heard Ariadne let out a frustrated sigh and she walked the other way. Dog sat in the chair as I lifted the hood of Max's car, leaning over it and tweaking the engine as much as I could. By the end of it, my hands were black and I had oil smears all over my face. I installed a better ramming grill, considering Max rammed into war boys a lot.

Max walked in, silent. His eyes fixed on me as he walked to my side and looked at the engine, examining the work I did, he let out a satisfied grunt and turned to look in my eyes. I caught his gaze by accident and couldn't pull away from his crystal eyes, we stared at each other  in silence. There was so much both of us wanted to say, but we're too stubborn to do it.

He walked to the dog, scratching his head and the dog got excited, wagging its tail furiously. "We should start tomorrow" I mumbled, breaking the deafening silence.

"No, now" he growled, looking up at me. My eyebrows rose, surprised he spoke at all. The dog whimpered, feeling the hostility and tension between me and Max. He stared at me, eyeing me up and down before grunting again, turning away and getting into the car, waiting for me. I sighed, opening the door and pouring myself into the passenger seat, and Dog hopped in the back, excited.

I looked over at Max's rugged face, realizing all over again how lovely and complex he was and I was lost in thoughts of him again, how his touch made me feel, how he drove away the fears and the insanity. I shook the thoughts out of my head, clenching my jaw and hardening my eyes as Max pulled out into the sand. Max pulled guns out of every crevice of his car, placing them in my lap and giving me ammo to fill them. He rested his hand on my thigh after and I felt chills go through my body. For some reason, I let it slide and continued to load the guns. I could see him glance over at me all the time from the corner of his eye, I handed him his shot gun and he removed the hand off my thigh, grabbing the it and strapping it to his body.

"They'll be out soon, be ready" he grumbled, trying not to talk to me as much as he could. I nodded, readying my gun and scanning the horizon. Max and I were a perfect team, these war boys wouldn't know what hit 'em.