Chapter 17: Night Fevers

I drank the cup of water, shivering. These fevers were non stop. I was still cold even with Max's jacket on. "So how are you holding up?" Phoenix asked. "How does it look? I feel like shit" I said quietly, my voice harsh. She chuckled and drank her water. I wondered if her and Max were actually okay or if she was just trying to get me to shut up.

"I know you're probably sick and tired of me bringing it up but I think you should go stay with Max tonight. It's obvious to me that you still love him, even if it's not to others. I can see it, and I can see that he feels the same." I mumble, my throat dry, making my voice raspy. She nodded, kissed my forehead and made her way to Max's room. I sat there for a while and Jeet came in and sat next to me.

"What's up, blondie?" He asked calmly. I didn't say anything. I didn't have any energy to. "You're thinking about them aren't you?" He asked putting his hand on my back supportivly. I knew exactly what he meant. I clenched my jaw and my muscles tensed. Lately, their faces wouldn't leave my head. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and got up, stumbling a bit. My body ached bad, soon enough, I won't be able to move much.

Jeet got up and helped me to my room, laying me down next to Furiosa. He nodded goodnight and left quietly. I layed my head on the pillow and thought of my family. I've been having nightmares about them all the time now. I curled up and Furiosa touched my skin gently making me shiver more then I already had been. I held her hand tight and tried my best to relax. Didn't seem like I was getting any sleep tonight.

She shifted and was awake now. She pulled me closer to her, noticing that I was still shivering. I tensed up and curled up. "Did you get any sleep?" She asked, sleepiness in her voice. "Not really" I said quietly. I turned to face her, interlocking my fingers with hers. "It hurts to much. Won't let me sleep much" I say quietly. I looked into her eyes and kissed her gently, slowly becoming more tired and relaxed.