Chapter 1: Tensions Are High

I could feel the tension around this table. It made me anxious but I needed to subdue it. I knew we were all stressed and angry. I was angry at Max, but at the same time, I was glad I still had him. He left and didn't come back, but maybe that was for a reason. We had both survived to be here today for a reason, right?

I got lost in my head as everyone around me were discussing war strategies. This has been happening more and more often. I get stuck in my head and terrible thoughts. I couldn't stop thinking about my family's helpless faces when I couldn't save them. They were so sick, and even I was sick. I'm not sure how I survived that. I had to take care of them and myself. I cringed at the thoughts. I held them in my arms, one by one, as they all took there last breath.

I got up and went back to my room and sat on my bed. I played with my fingers and looked down at my feet. I wasn't sure if I was ready for war again. I feel like I have seen so much death. Well, I have. That's all there is around me. I've only grown to care about 3 people now. You have to be careful who you let yourself care about. They'll either leave or the scavengers will get them.

To all my surprise, Max came in. "You can't be mad at me forever" He said sitting next to me. "I think I'm more angry at myself at this point" I replied quietly. "You can't stay mad at yourself forever either" He said calmly. He was right, but I couldn't help but stay mad at myself. I could have helped them if I had the resources.

"Why did you leave?" I asked clenching my fists. "There were things I had to take care of. By the time I was able to come back, that area was already gone. I had already had a family by then. Once they were gone, I went back. You were already gone." He replied. I could tell he was subdueing the pain in his voice. I didn't say anything, I couldn't. I just hugged him. I could feel his muscles tense up, but he hugged back. I guess this ment I wasn't really mad at him anymore.