Chapter 11: Getting Cold

It was starting to get dark again and that ment it was going to get cold again. We only had enough food and water for a few days. We could only hold out for so long. Dog came up to me and nudged me with his nose, I scratched behind his ear.

I began debating whether or not we should start walking back to the Citadel at the break of dawn. It was dark now and I crawled back into the car, Phoenix and dog following behind. I layed in the backseat and waited for Phoenix to crawl up next to me for body heat. She got cold pretty easily. She started to shiver, I grabbed her gently and held her close to me closing the sleeping bag for more warmth.

Her cold grey eyes met mine. "I'll never leave you again" I mumble, clearing my throat. I saw a soft smile appear on her lips. It was good to see her smile. The only looks I've seen from her, that were towards me, were angry or hurt. Right then and there, I wanted to kiss her. I wanted her back but I didn't know if she wanted me.

She rested her head in the crook of my neck and I wrapped my arms around her. Dog came over and layed in the sleeping bag with us. I didn't know what it was about this moment that made it so perfect. I guess it was having her in my arms again, even if it was just for body heat. I didn't care, she was here, and she was with me.

I kept trying to think of why I left Ariadne and my old family. I remember that I wanted to come back. I remember that things were getting bad down there and I was going to come back. Maybe it was because I fell in love. Maybe I couldn't leave them either. Phoenix had fallen asleep by now, mumbling in her sleep. I held her close to me to keep her warm. The voices were silent. Maybe now, I could get some sleep.