Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A new beginning

“Turn it up.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because I’m old”

I sighed and leaned back in my seat.

My name is Elizabeth McKinley or lizzie as everyone called me and according to my very stubborn mother I’m just an arrogant , rebelling, refusing, confusing sixteen year old girl. What a closed mind.

“how much longer?” I asked tapping on the windowsill I leaned on.

“Listen Liz, we’ve only been on the road for forty-five minutes.” my mom said staring ahead at the road.

Yeah, a road to nowhere.

That’s exactly where we were. In the middle of fricking nowhere.

My family, being the idiots they were, decided to move over the summer or at least over the end of the August and beginning of September. My genus mother also stated that since it was so late that I would have to be the new kid. Yeah, like I would survive. A new kid in the middle of a school where everybody had their friends already. To make matters worse it was a private school called West Academy.

Wrong. This was all just so wrong.

I was only partially devastated to be moving from my hometown of New Milford ,Maryland because I’d be leaving the friends I have had since kindergarden . The friends who understood me.

It was kind of hard for me to make friends because I can be a very awkward and self conscious person around other people. People are also easily driven away by my appearance;

I had an obsession with wearing black clothes, lots of eyeliner and mascara, owning at least seven pairs of converse in both low and high tops and I always had my light brown hair straightened and teased on the sides and in the back. I wear black nail polish, I had scrapes on my arms from going into the woods and people thought they were self-inflicted cuts, I liked to wear weird styles of clothing and ties and my hands usually always had some type of art material on them.

Nuff said.

So because of my past experiences, I knew somebody would say something.

Before I knew it, I had drifted off to sleep in my own little dream.

*“I know I can make friends”

Something hit me across the face and a young man with black hair and grey-blue eyes appeared in front of me.

“Fool.” he said crossing his arms over his chest as he stared me up and down.

My hand went up to my cheek and I felt my stomach churn.

“what?” I asked knitting my eyebrows together.

“Don’t be such a fool. You must work for friends, not just expect them to come to you” He spoke intelligently, like he had thought it over for years and years.

“Who are you?” I questioned whilst narrowing my eyes at him.

“Jonathan last name, no need for you to know” he said calmly leaning against the newly formed green wall behind him

“oh.” I said quietly while moving my face from my hands to my stomach.

“Hey, do me a favor?” he said. I stared him up and down. He seemed so calm and cool. What a dumbass.

“what.” I said flatly.

He was about to speak when an echo of my mothers voice interrupted him. We both looked up to the sky mixed with oranges, pinks and dark blues.

“Liz, you have to wake up.” my mothers voice grew. I glanced over to him

“Quickly Jonathan, tell me what you want.” I said trying to urge him to tell me.

“There’s no time.” he said uncrossing his arms. “I’ll tell you at the next meeting” he said with a sly smirk.

“Meeting? What?” I asked, confused.

“No.” he said sternly. “Hush Elizabeth” he pushed he softly and I began tumbling down into nothingness*

I snapped up and pulled my body forward, overdrawing the boundaries of my seatbelt, locking it, and pulling my self back into the seat.

I looked over to my mother , who had her door open and was leaning over to wake me.

“Nice way to wake yourself honey.” My mom said, shaking her head.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. She always said dumb things like that because she thought they would make me laugh. All they did was annoy me.

“whatever.” I said crossing my arms.

We sat in silence for five minutes as we stared at a telephone pole in front of us.

“Are you going to get out?” my mother asked, raising her eyebrow at me.

I looked around

“Wait, we’re here?” I asked amazed.

“Mhm.” my mother said, “408 Hamilton Drive, Clifford, Wisconsin.” she smiled and nodded her head.

I gave her a shocked look and quickly unbuckled my seatbelt.

“That one right there?” I asked pointing to a house across the street.

“Yep.” she said happily.

“whoa..” I breathed. I pushed open the door of our car and walked toward my new home.

It was a tannish color with dark red shudders that looked almost like blood and a beige walkway leading to the front , cement, porch that held a big wooden door detailed with marvelous glass windows.

I walked across the street and looked at the front lawn. It was the greenest grass I had ever seen and flowers lined the pathway and porch.

I walked up the path, past the small patches of shrubbery here and there until I reached the porch.

It was like it’s very own wonderland that I could make so many memories in.

The porch was decorated with plenty of white wooden rails and posts. It held wooden wicker furniture with stylish cushions over looking the front portion of the property with a few potted plants here and there.

I walked onto the porch and grabbed the cold golden door handle and twisted it down. I looked over my shoulder to see if my mother was behind me.

She was pulling boxes out of the backseat and trunk..

I sighed and pushed the door open and looked into my new sacred space.

Once the door was opened, I was overwhelmed my the smell of mahogany wood and cinnamon.

I smiled and stepped inside the empty house, closed the door, and began my journey.

As I walked around the house I couldn’t help but think about my dream.

“The next meeting.”

What did that even mean?

I shrugged it off and continued looking around

My footsteps echoed throughout the entire house.

It had two floors, a finished basement and a finished attic, so I guess four floors.

The entire house had dark hardwood floor throughout it with exceptions here and there.

Just looking at the new place made me feel fresh and made me feel like I could start a new beginning and be who I wanted to be. And that I shall.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~