forty four

-julia-

I want to be mad at Diane for hanging up on me, but I know that I don't have any reason. After all, I did say that I would only call if I have something important to tell her.

I guess I'll just have to find something.

But how? The place for information is my mother's computer. I can't go back into her office. She told me herself that there were cameras within her office to see if anyone entered.

There are other ways into a computer than physically on that computer.

But I don't know how to hack a person's computer. I don't know any of that spy stuff that makes me feel special.

But Carlotta knows a few things. I pull my disposable phone out from beneath my pile of dirty laundry and call Carlotta.

She hesitantly answers, "Hello?"

"Carlotta, this is Julia."

"Did your mom take away your phone?"

"No, but I think she might be tracking my calls. I don't want her to know about this call."

"Why? Are you not supposed to be talking to us?"

"No. I want to hack into her computer. Do you know how?"

Carlotta is quiet for a few moments. Then she starts laughing, "Do I know how to hack into a computer? Who do you think I am? I don't know how to do that kind of thing."

I sigh, "Well you knew how to pick a lock..."

"Sorry, Julia, but picking a lock and hacking a computer are completely different things. Not to mention when it's your mother's computer we are talking about that probably has a thousand firewalls. Sorry, but that's not going to work."

I sigh, "Sorry then. Thanks anyways."

"I don't even know anyone who knows how to do that."

"Thanks anyway."

"Sure. You come and see me the second that you can, okay?"

I agree and we set up plans for the moment my mother appeals her rules and I hang up.

I drum my fingers against my leg, trying to think about who else I could call.

Rosalina would have no idea.

Besides Carlotta and Rosalina, I don't think there's a single person I can trust. I don't know who will tattle to my mother if the opportunity appears. After all, who doesn't want to earn bonus points with an Assembly member.

I'm about to give up when a name pops into my head.

Diane.

Diane comes from a family with a less than perfect history. Diane herself seems to have a less than perfect history. Is it possible that she knows?

I call her. She'll help me if it means that I can give her more information.

She answers just as it's about to go to voicemail. Her voice is soft and groggy, as if she's just been woken up. "What do you need?"

"Can you hack a computer?"

"What?"

"Can you hack a computer?"

Her voice is guarded, "Why do you need to know?"

"I want to hack a Assembly member's computer. There has to be more information on it about what happened to your father. I want to hack it to see what I can find. Unfortunately, I don't know how."

She is quiet for a few long seconds. Then she says, "I'll help you."