twenty three

My fingers hover right above the call button. I need to call Marcia Quintana. I've put it off for far too long. I told myself that I would call her first thing in the morning, but it's already one o'clock.

I take a deep breath and press the call back number. It rings. And rings.

For a second I hope that she doesn't answer. But then I hope that she does. I can't leave a voicemail.

After four rings she picks up, "Hello? Is that you, Diane?"

"Yes, it is me."

"Why are you calling? Do you need some help?"

"No. I do not need your help. I would just like some answers."

She sighs on the other side of the phone, "I believe I did give you some answers the last time I talked to you. I told you that your father had died in a fight with another prisoner. I was willing to give you more information, but you hung up on me. I wanted to respectful of your grieving, so I didn't call you back."

"I apologize for hanging up on you. Do you think you could tell me anything more about my father's death?"

"I believe I gave you all the details I can. I myself don't know much about what happened. The business of the jail is not my business. They are very strict on their privacy."

"Do you know who it was that my father was fighting with?"

"No, I don't. Even if I did, I don't think it would be a good idea. Would it? After all, I'm sure you Tinsleys are big on revenge."

"What about his...his body? Am I going to be able to have a proper funeral?"

She's silent for a long second. "I'm sorry, but the jail disposed of the body by themselves. It's cremated. The ashes have been disposed of. My apologies."

"Did they not think that he might have family members that cared for him?"

"I don't know. Like I said, I don't know much about the affairs of the jail. It isn't my place. I know it seems like I have a lot of power, but I honestly don't."

"Actually, it doesn't seem like you have much power at all. The word Assembly seems to have a lot of power, but I think it's actually a pretty weak position."

"What do you mean?" I can hear the annoyance in her voice. I should back off. I don't need this woman to hate me anymore than she already does. She already has a problem with my father. After, she was the reason he was in jail in the first place. I need to be on her good side so that she gives me as much information as she knows.

"Nothing. It meant nothing at all. I'm sorry."

"I would honestly like to know what you were thinking. What about being in the Assembly is weak? We make decisions for the entire country. We decide how much people get taxed, what the justice system is like, what we want produced and what we don't want to be created. I practically hold the entire country in the palm of my hand. I don't know about you, but I think that's quite a lot of power."

"It seems like you have a lot of power because there are a bunch of people beneath you. You see, a lot of people create their own power. They work hard, gain money or fortune or a good reputation, and they are their own rulers. But you, your position, your power, is nothing but something that people have given to you. If those people were to suddenly disappear, you would collapse to the ground. You would have no power left without the people beneath you."

"You are a very rude little girl."

"You asked my opinion."

"I think I need to go now, Diane. Is there anything else you need to discuss?"

There's a thousand things I want to ask her, but I won't admit that I need answers from her. That will only strengthen her power philosophy.

She says, "Oh, that reminds me. Before I go, I was wondering how you are handling things. Do you need any help with finances? Do you have a place to live?"

"I'm living at friend's. I do not need your help."

"I was just asking. I assume that you are going to try to get by without a legal guardian. You are what, sixteen? Seventeen? You plan on coasting your way along until you are eighteen and then you can build a life for your own. Is that right?"

I'm chilled by how easily she guessed my plan. I say, "Yes, that is right."

"Then I trust you are going to keep this quiet. Your father's death doesn't need to be spread across the world."

"I thought you would have already told everyone. I know that my father was a bit of an enemy of yours. I thought his death would have been worthy of a celebration."

"I'm going to be honest with you, Diane. The death of your father was a bit of an embarrassment to the jail. After all, they are supposed to keep people safe. The fact that your father was killed in a fight inside the jail makes them look rather bad. We are all trying to keep this quiet. If you could keep up the idea that your father is just away on a long business trip or perhaps on vacation, that would be great."

"Why would I want to help the Assembly? After everything that you have done to our family?" I don't think there's any need for me to try to act nice anymore. After all, the lady already called me a rude little girl. I don't know how much lower she will go, but I think I will test her.

"After what we did?" Her voice is filled with incredibly, "We did absolutely nothing to your family. It was your grandfather that made the choice to commit crimes. We are the people who are supposed to bring justice to the country. How do you think it looks if our own Assembly members are committing crime and not getting the justice they deserve?"

"Then why didn't you just punish my grandfather? You could have just kicked my grandfather off the Assembly and replaced him with my father instead. He would have made a fantastic Assembly member."

She's quiet for a minute. I think she's pretending to actually think it over. Now that my father is dead, why not try to entertain me. "Well, I guess that could be a good idea. But too bad it's too late. It's a shame your father wasn't able to fulfill his dreams."

"You could repay him back by putting me on the Assembly."

"You? Your seventeen. No one would allow it."

"You are making a comment towards me age. I do believe you once had a Assembly member who was nine. Don't you think your judgement is a little slanted?"

"Diane, even if I wanted to change it, no one else would allow it. We don't really like change here. We have enough problems on our hand without creating conflicts for ourselves."

"I think you just don't like us. You don't like my family. You have aprejudice against our family. Maybe you should understand that personalities and habits aren't heritable."

Marcia Quintana just laughs, "I wish I could say that I've enjoyed talking to you, Diane, but I can't. I"m afraid i have to get back to my real job. Sorry, dear. I'm glad that you are able to stay at your friend's house. Remember to keep things quiet if you want to stay out of child services."

"What if I decide to tell someone? It's only a year in child services after all. After the way you've treated me today, I might be willing to suffer through that year in order to get you in trouble."

Her voice goes deathly quiet. "What do you need from me in order to keep you quiet?"

I take a deep breath,"I want pardon from taxes and bills. I don't know how much money my father has and I don't even know what I have to pay. Any problems I have with money, you can take care of. I doubt your bank account will even notice the difference."

Marcia Quintana is silent. "Fine. I expect to hear nothing different. You won't tell your friend why you're really there. You will say your father is just on vacation. I will take care of any financial difficulties. You won't tell the staff anything. You will still organize his ridiculous parties. Everything."

My mouth drops open, "My father was sent to jail because you didn't like his parties. You want me to continue them?"

"Yes." She hangs up before I can say anything more.