forty eight

Per my mother's request, I put on a nice green dress and makeup. I'm not used to getting ready for formal events without Rosalina's help. I don't know if I can decide between two shades of lipgloss. I consider calling her, but then I realize that I'm being ridiculous and grab a random one.

I meet my mother downstairs and she nods when she sees me.

She says, "This is a very important meeting to me. This could be very good to my political career. While it may not seem very important to you, I recommend that you pay attention. These are the kinds of meetings that you will run into when you take my place. Do you understand?"

I nod. I don't want to pay attention to this meeting, I never do, but I will anyways. Because that's what my mother tells me to do.

We get in the limo and drive into town.

I can't talk to my mother. I keep seeing the video of Diane's father. The blood bursting from his chest. My mother's cold reactionless face.

Then in my mind, I see the document on her computer. The date. Next Wednesday. The 'Finally Free!' With that little exclamation point behind it like it's some cute little event, not a death date.

But with my mother's silver dress and her bright lipstick and smile, she doesn't look like a murderer.

I wonder how the police would react if I tried to turn my mother in. They would probably laugh in my face. After all, my mother holds all the power in the Assembly. How could she have committed such a crime?

They would probably write me off as a bratty, rich little teen who is bored and wants some attention. Maybe I was mad at my mother because she grounded me or took away my money. They would just whisper 'rich snob' as I left and laugh and tell their coworkers over lunch.

If I can't turn to the police, there's no one else I can turn to.

Not that I'm going to turn to someone.

My mother is family. We have family loyalty. We don't share secrets, we bury them.

My mother looks over at me and smiles, as if she can hear my thoughts. I offer her a smile in return and turn to my view out of the window.

We pull into the skyscraper and travel up to the top floor. My mother stops me outside of the door of the conference room where all the Assembly waits.

"Did I mention how important this is?" My mother asks.

"Yes, mother."

"You will keep it together. You won't say anything. You won't look bored."

I raise an eyebrow. Why does my mother feel the need to lecture me about all of this? "Am I normally a problem?"

"No. Of course not. Just act how you normally act."

Something is up. "Why would I act any differently?"

My mother gives me a big smile and says, "They are probably waiting for us."

I stare at her and shake my head. She doesn't see me as she heads into the conference room. I trail after her and take my seat to her left.

Whoever the guilty one is isn't in the room yet. I wonder who it will be this time. A bankrupt businessman who was desperate enough for fraud? A sick patient who was unable to pay his bills without stealing?

I try not to look too bored as we wait for them to arrive.

My mother clucks her tongue and says to the councils, "I suppose I didn't expect anything less."

The other Assembly members laugh, but it's guilty. It's one of those jokes that you know that you shouldn't make and it's even worse to laugh at.

Who is it?

The doors push open and a set of four guards bring in the person. I don't bother turning around.

They bring the person to the front of the room and I glance up.

A small gasp whistles through my teeth.

Diane.