sixty five

-diane-

My cell phone rings. It's a number that I haven't had the stomach to add a contact too, but I recognize it none the less.

Marcia Quintana.

She must know. Why else would she contact me?

I answer. I won't be afraid. "Hello."

"Diane."

"Yes."

"The party is going to be moved up to tomorrow. It starts at seven. I will take care of all the details. All you need to do is be there."

"Okay. What is the occasion?"

"That is a surprise."

She hangs up.

So she wants to kill me a day sooner?

I wonder if there is going to be an actual party. Is she going to put me through the torture of socializing with all the people? Or is it just a trap? Maybe I'll walk into my house to find it completely empty. She'll give me a minute or so to be confused before blowing me to pieces.

Maybe she won't even give me a minute.

But if she saw the videos, then she must know that I know about the death date. Julia and I discussed it several times. Does she think I am foolish enough to not figure out that I am probably going to be killed at this party?

Maybe she knows that if I don't show up to the party, she always has plenty of more ways to kill me. The party is just one of the options.

And if she doesn't get me that day, she'll get me the next.

Or the day after that.

She can keep trying. I'll just have to keep dodging until one day, I don't.

The end.