22 → "HEATSTROKE"

22 "HEATSTROKE"

"WHAT THE HELL was that thing?"

"Who were those people?"

"Where were they taking him?"

These were the most frequent questions that the Gladers had rushed out, the moment the Berg was gone from sight. Adeline couldn't get the two people dressed in those green baggy outfits out of her head. The two people from WICKED, who'd taken Thomas in that machine-in the Berg. Why would they take him? To heal his infected shoulder? They had no reason to help. WICKED threw them into a maze for two years with Grievers, and once they'd escaped they were thrown into the Scorch. And now they were helping Thomas? Adeline was keen to understand why.

"Shuck it!" Newt hissed. "Minho, you're the leader. What do we do now?"

Minho shared a glance with Newt. "We keep moving."

"What about Thomas?" Frypan disagreed. "Did nobody else notice WICKED written across those ugly green outfits? These are the people who put us in a freakin' maze for two years."

"Slim it Frypan," Minho snapped "Don't think I don't know that? Look, I don't trust WICKED as much as the majority of you, but do you not remember what Rat-Man told us? 'Make it to the safe haven within two weeks' time and you'll have completed Phase Two. At that point, and only at that point, you'll be cured of the Flare.' We have to keep going."

"Minho's right." Adeline spoke up. "We have to keep going."

Minho glanced over at Adeline, nodding. "It's starting to get hot again, meaning if we want to keep moving it's best for us to rest during the day like we did and then we'll keep going during the night."

"Good that," Newt nodded in agreement. Adeline shook her head.

"Except there's only one problem though." Adeline cut in. "We can't sleep under this sun otherwise we're gonna bake out here. And we no longer have those sheets that we had before the lightning storm to keep us somewhat protected from the sun."

"Adeline has a point." Aris said. "Maybe we should build some sort of shelter."

"Out of what?" Minho pointed out. "Look around, there's not anything to make a shelter out of shuck-face."

"We'll find something." Aris shrugged.

Somehow, the Gladers managed to find some old wood to construct a shelter. Adeline was too sidetracked over the heat blasting down on them to care about where the Gladers managed to find said old wood; the heat was starting to make Adeline irritable, and as soon as they'd started to construct the shelter, it felt like the heat was getting hotter and hotter each passing second. As Adeline helped the Gladers, she felt slightly dizzy and the fact she was dehydrated didn't help. Every few minutes or so she had to wipe her forehead to get rid of the sweat that beaded along her forehead and trickled slightly down her face. The more time she spent under the beating sun, the more she felt dizzy. A headache formed in her temples, and her arms started to cramp up. But she continued to work through it, destined to help finish the shelter. But her body couldn't take it. She felt weak all of a sudden, and her skin felt ridiculously hot. She could feel the sun burning her skin, and all it was doing was making her extremely dehydrated. At one point she stopped, hissing as the headache grew worse.