Chapter two: River

Earlier in the day, I heard one of the dinner ladies address her, Harmoni Jones. So that's your name.
I felt her smile as she walked away from me. "Do I sense a crush you have there, River?" My Father said jokingly, winking at me. It made me mad because even though it was true, I didn't want people knowing I may find her attractive. "You keep your mouth shut. Old man." I snapped back. I only started noticing her when we were eleven. Most lunchtimes I'd seen her isolated in a corner, I presumed that's how she liked it at first. Then after a while I realised she was crying every day. At first I just felt sorry for the 'loner girl' then I noticed her arms. I didn't know the situation. But I knew how it felt...

"Your drink, Sir." She said to me with a slight smile,I snapped out of my daydream and back to Harmoni. I knew she found me attractive. Who doesn't? But this was the first time I had ever seen her smile. She has a nice smile. I smiled back and thanked her. When she walked away I noticed my dad smirking at me again. "I was being polite." I said in a soft tone.

Half an hour later we had finished our food and was about to leave. "Ugh, River I forgot my credit card. Can you get this?" I rolled my eyes and threw the money on top of the bill. I was sick of this act.
"Dad, can you wait in the car. I need to use the restroom." I told my father. He didn't object. He just left through the restaurant doors, keys in hand. I borrowed a pen from a passing waitress and quickly scribbled a note on the back of the bill.

Harmoni,
Meet me by the harbour tonight at 10, sharp! If you're not there I'll know you don't have any interest in me.
If I don't at least get a call by midnight...
You'll see.
- River x

I wrote my number at the end and left the bill face down so she would see it, making sure to leave a decent sized tip for her. I whistled her over and as she approached I walked out the door, putting my hood up. I turned the corner to where my father had parked and jumped into the car. I'm guessing she had read it by now. I know the note sounded kind of threatening, but I needed to meet her! We've never had a proper introduction. I held my phone in my hand, already waiting for a call, a text. Anything!

Five minutes passed. "You're quiet." My Father said bitterly.

"What's the point in making conversation when we both know neither of us care to speak to one another?" I replied. He just let out a large sigh, making sure I heard it.

About ten minutes into the car ride home, he started speaking to me. "Your maid is leaving us soon. She said she can stay until we find another one for you." The news just shocked me slightly.I've had the same maid since I was five years old. I've never really thought much of her up until now. Great. Now I can have a random stranger keeping track of my schedule and fetching and carrying for me. I didn't reply to him, I just put my earbuds in my ears and started blasting my music.

Another five minutes later and we were pulling onto our drive. He let me out by the front door and headed round the back to park the car in the garage. I pulled my keys out of my pocket, opened the door and went straight up to my room.

I was still staring at my phone, I needed her to text me! I just wanted to talk to her, even if it was only for a few minutes!

Stop River! What are you doing?! She's just a girl! It's not like you're even really that into her! I had to keep telling myself what I knew wasn't true. I had genuine feelings for this girl and I didn't want to just lose that!

I had a few hours to spare before I went up to the harbour, I spent that time getting my coursework out of the way and finishing up a few pieces of my artwork. I found a state of solitude in my artwork, but I loved it. I loved the feeling of being alone. That may be strange to most people but I found pleasure in my own company. I didn't want to be on this Earth too much, I just wanted to escape from it. I'd spend hours on my work. I'm not sure why, it's not like money will ever be an issue in my life.

*

By the time I had finished all my work, It was almost ten. I ran downstairs, pulled my black vans on, grabbed my keys and headed out the back door to the garage. I had my pick of cars. I quickly hopped into my Lamborghini Veneno and sped up the drive and out onto the road. A few minutes later, the harbour was in sight, and more importantly, the silhouette of an absolutely gorgeous being. Her dyed purple hair was flowing slightly, going with the breeze of the cold, winter air. I pulled up next to where she was standing and whistled a quick note to get her attention. She didn't seem to notice so I assumed she was listening to music. I revved the engine, hoping she would notice. She turned round and stared at the car in awe. "Fancy a ride, Miss?" I said in a posh voice, hoping to see her smile.

"Erm, not really..." She half-whispered back. I got out and walked round to her.

"It's safe, I'm not a dangerous driver, I won't go too fast... I'll look after you." I told her, lifting her hand up and gently placing a kiss on it. She quickly pulled her hand away. "What's wrong? You're here, I'm assuming it means you like me." I told her, trying to stay calm.

"I do like you... But I don't trust you." She said, not making eye contact. I took a deep breath and held her hands in mine. "Look, I'm not asking for a lot. I'm asking for a chance to show you I'm not the obnoxious twat everyone thinks I am. I want to prove myself to you." I told her, taking her hand in mine. I could feel her getting nervous. We were standing there for no more than five seconds when her phone started buzzing. It was a video call.

Incoming call: Daniel<3

"Oh... I get it." I said, mostly to myself. Anger building up inside me. I let go of her hand and walked back round to the driver's seat. "Wait, Where are you going?!" She asked me.

"I don't play games." I told her before speeding off. How could I have been so stupid?! Look at her! She's gorgeous! Of course she already has a boyfriend. I didn't go home straight away. I just drove. I didn't care where. I just needed to clear my head. I felt tears begin to sting my eyes.

Don't you dare. Don't you dare cry over someone River White. Don't you fucking dare!

I was snapped out of my thoughts by my phone ringing through the car, I answered and immediately heard a familiar voice. "River, please let me explain!" I didn't answer, just let out a long sigh. "He's my brother!" She told me. "He moved away a while ago, I tell him everything. I told him I was coming to meet you and he called to see if I was okay because neither of us thought you would actually show up." It sounded like she had been crying. I decided I didn't care. I hung up without saying a word and drove home. I decided it would be best to get an early night.