Chapter seven: River

"Babe I can't talk now, someone's coming upstairs." I ended the call and heard a loud, continuous knock on my door. I opened it to see Harmoni looking slightly panicked. "You know rule three of the worker rules?" She asked. I nodded. "Does that apply to you and your dad?"

"Suppose. Why?"

"I think you need to see this..." She told me, taking my hand and walking downstairs, heading for my father's study? "Harmoni. What is this-" I paused, hearing giggling coming from my father's study. I pulled my hand away from her grasp and opened the door to the study.

I gasped at the sight I saw. "Dad! What the hell do you think you're doing with her!" I looked to the woman standing there, it was his maid. I knew there was something going on with her! "Get out! NOW!" I told her. She stood staring at me, looking offended. "River! Don't you dare talk to her like that!" He stopped and looked at me. "You did this didn't you! You're the one that told him!" My father shouted at Harmoni.

"Don't you fucking dare yell at her, you are the one in the wrong here! YOU! Get out of here now!" I yelled at them both.

"River, we can explain!" The maid started telling me. I never bothered learning her name, I didn't feel a need.

"Oh, do go on! I'd love to hear how you broke your own fucking rules" I yelled at my father. And I thought I hated him enough already. "Don't you dare say a word to her, he has no right yelling at us like that!"

"US?!" I started. "That's rich! She's just a bloody maid for Christ sake! If I was with Harmoni I'd be kicked out!"

"Well you are, aren't you!" The maid argued.

"What is it to you if I am or not?!"

"River, that is breaking the rules of my house and you know it is." My Father replied in a calm voice.

"And this isn't?! Dad, what do you see in her?! She's a maid! She's nothing!" All this time, I had forgotten harmoni was standing right next to me. I looked at her, she had tears in her eyes. "H-how could you?" She said in a quiet voice, she walked away from me and ran up the stairs. "HARMONI!" I yelled after her. "Are you proud of yourselves?" I asked them before running up after her.

I looked in a few rooms upstairs, including mine. She was nowhere to be seen. I walked into the bathroom and saw her crying against the sink. "What did I do?!" I asked.

"Really?! You actually have to ask?!" She said, looking surprised. "I didn't mean it about the maid thing. I was just mad because I caught my dad with someone who isn't my mother and just-" I stopped, hearing a loud sigh come from her. "It's not that, River!" She said looking at me through the mirror. "You've let them both believe were together. Not only does that hurt, but it might cause me to lose the best job I've ever had!"

"Oh come on! What's so good about the job?! You spend all day waiting on me!"

"I'm in love with you! That's why I spend so much time here and work overtime! I can't believe you think I could get over you that easily especially when I see you everyday!"  She said, almost yelling at me.

"RIVER YOU GET DOWN HERE RIGHT THIS MINUTE!" I heard my father yell up the stairs.

"I'll talk to you later..." I told her, leaving her, running out the bathroom and down the stairs. "Finally have an answer for me?" I asked him stubbornly.

"We don't have to answer to you! What are you anyway?! A rich mans son!"

"Don't try to pull that bullshit! The minute you die this ALL becomes mine! Do you not understand that?! MINE! I will own the likes of that!" I yelled, nodding towards the maid Harmoni caught him with.

"I don't have to put up with this." My father said in a hushed tone. He grabbed his jacket and keys and left.