Chapter six: Harmoni

As I walked home I couldn't help but wonder what must have been in his father's room? Of course it may just be that he won't even allow River into his room for privacy reasons... But serious consequences for entering?

I decided to shake it off, deciding I really didn't care much. I turned onto my driveway and opened my front door walking up to my bedroom. I lay front down on my bed and opened the document, selecting a song on my phone. I know what I said about it. But he wasn't going to take it back so I might as well use it? I concentrated on the first page of the paper and started reading;

Rules of the house:

There will be NO parties after 2am.

NO smoking on the premises.

No backchat or there will be punishment!

I read on through the first page, there was twenty house rules in total , I figured out after around ten that these rules were aimed at River. I turned the page and found;

Rules for workers:

Entering mine or River's bedrooms unless asked to do so is FORBIDDEN.

Unless it is your job, you will not speak to River unless spoken to!

Fraternising with anyone in this house is FORBIDDEN!

Talking back to either one of us will NOT be tolerated.

You have ONE chance with this job. You mess up, you leave!

No smoking/drinking/anything to dishonour this family!

You have ONE job. You DO NOT offer help to another worker!

You will not speak to myself unless spoken to!

Breaking ANY  these rules will result in SEVERE punishment!

As I was reading through the long list, I realised that his father is very protective of his house and his son. I was always led to believe that he didn't care for his son. I decided I had had enough of thinking about river, I put my phone on charge and let soft music play throughout my room for the rest of the night. It was Saturday tomorrow...

*

The next morning, I woke up and realised what day it was. I had a strong feeling this day was going to be painfully long! I got out bed, grabbed a towel and walked to my bathroom to shower. After around 45 minutes I got out, looking at my phone.

9:35am

SHIT. I was late already! How have I screwed up this job already?! God! I quit my restaurant job for this and now I have nothing! Brilliant! I thought it might be worth a shot to try getting there at least before ten! I quickly blow dried my hair, tying it up and pinning my fringe away from my face. I pulled on a plain black shirt, black jeans and converse, grabbing my keys and running out the door and down the road.

10:01AM

I rang the doorbell and waited at the door. I was hoping anyone other than River would open the door! "Have you read through the rules?" I snapped out of thought and looked at River's father standing in front of me. I still didn't know his name. "Yes, sir." I told him, cautious of what to say. He looked at me and sighed, I looked to my feet and waited for him to tell me to leave. "Then you should know about our one strike rule." I let out a sigh, apologising for wasting his time and began to turn around. "Wait!" He paused... "How badly do you want this job?" He asked me.

"It's not even that I want it. I need it! I have nothing, I'm sick of working constantly and earning nothing, I'm sick of being on my own. I was hoping this job may make me feel better because I'm helping other people with things instead of just serving food or feeling sorry for myself! I can be here working as often as you want me to be!" I took almost no pauses while talking. I wouldn't dare tell him anything personal about me, I just wanted him to know my heart would be in this job!

I watched him while he made up his mind about me. He let a long sigh before beginning to talk. "You better come in, Harmoni. River is in his room. Knock on the door and wait for him to tell you to enter." He told me, giving me a sympathetic smile. "Thank you so much for giving me a chance..." I told him. He just nodded at the stairs, instructing me to go up, smiling at me slightly. I smiled back and walked up the long staircase.

I knocked on River's door and waited for an answer. "You're late." He told me, opening the door.

"I know, and I'm really sorry. It won't happen again!" I knew that would be a lie, but I was determined to keep this job! "You do know my father isn't allowed to fire you? So whatever happens to you is my decision as you work for me?" He told me. I just nodded at him. "Anyway." He started, turning away from me, picking up a basket of washing and handing it to me. "Take this downstairs and to the washroom." He told me, I nodded and headed back downstairs. This day's too long already...

* TIME SKIP *

I've been working for River for two months now... He still shows no emotion towards me whatsoever! He's never laughed while I'm around, never looks sad, angry, anything! All I get is the smallest of smiles occasionally around school... It was Sunday again. I pulled myself out of my bed and into the bathroom to take a shower. I got dressed, less than twenty minutes later I was out the house and walking to River's house.

8:50AM

I was getting a lot better at time keeping. Other than my first day, the latest I've been is about ten minutes. I rang the doorbell and waited for an answer. "Oh, hi Harmoni!" I was greeted by his father's maid. She was pretty much the only person who was nice to me here. Even River's father had began to be a little odd around me. I did my usual routine. I went up to River's room. Knocked on the door and waited for an answer. He handed me a basket of washing and I walked downstairs. I was walking past his father's study and heard light giggling...

My eyes widened at the sight that I saw...

I thought back to the worker rules I haven't read in two months; Rule number three: Fraternising is forbidden!