Chapter five: River

She left.

I felt like I had poured my heart out to her over and over again, she pulled my hands off her waist and ran out of the room and down the hall. I didn't bother chasing her, what would be the point if she was that desperate to leave?

I leant back against the doorframe and felt my eyes starting to water.

I snapped out of it and ran out of the room. "Harmoni!" I yelled after her, running through the front door, seeing her running up the driveway. "Harmoni, please! Please tell me what I've done now!" I yelled, slowly catching up to her. "You haven't done anything. It's me! I can't go through with any of this. I'm sorry for wasting your time. I just won't be with you River!" She yelled at me, not bothering to turn back.

I felt someone tear my heart apart. I stopped walking and fell to my knees. I buried my face in my hands and allowed tears to flow down my face. "I need you, Harmoni Jones."

"Y-you what?" I thought I only said that in my head, I looked up to see Harmoni right in front of me. I ran up to her, trying to find the right words to make her stay - but nothing would come out.
"River, I'm not doing this. I don't know what you want from me anymore! I thought I did. But obviously you just wanted to hurt me! Thank you for the job offer, but I want nothing more to do with you." I watched her walk off. I think that's when I snapped. I was done with her! Why should I waste my time thinking about someone like that! I tried making it up to her and I get it thrown back in my face!

What's the point in trying with her anymore?! I've given her a lot to have nothing back.

I walked back into the house and up to my bedroom. "That last one seemed nice." My father spoke, smiling to himself.

She's more than just nice. She's kind, considerate, beautiful, amazing, gorgeous, stunning, breathtaking and so so much more! I didn't want to feel this way but something about her and changed me and now she hates me because I made one mistake! I'll never forgive myself for how I acted the first time we met...

I couldn't bring myself to give my father a proper answer. I replied with a simple "mhm."  and walked into my room. I hated the fact that I have allowed myself to feel like this! I swore I would never fall for anyone!

NO! You haven't fallen for her! YOU HAVEN'T!

*

The next morning I woke up with another hangover for the third day in a row. I knew I should probably stop doing this to myself. But it was the only way I knew to help forget things. I first started doing it after my dad told me the story about my mother's death. He's never told me what she died of, just that it was after a big argument...

I snapped out of thought, got out of bed and carried on with my usual morning routine. I went downstairs and into the dining room, sitting opposite my father just like every morning. "So." He paused. "Have you decided who has the job yet?" He asked.

"I have indeed."

"Go on."

"Harmoni Jones. Aka; the last interviewee." I told him. I thought it was obvious she was going to turn down the job and I decided I no longer cared. "Anyway, I'm going now. I'll be home at the end of school today, I have nothing going on after school."

"Okay, son. Have a good day!" He said to me. I replied with a light smile before leaving.

I drove into the gates and parked in the car park. Getting out I looked round and saw my bunch of idiots, trying to chat up Harmoni as she walked past. "Harmoni!" I yelled in her direction. She turned to face me and let out a long sigh, showing how annoyed she was at me. "Congratulations!" I told her with a light smile. She looked at me rather vaguely...

"You're in. The jobs yours if you want it. Starts monday after school." I told her, putting on my best fake smile.

"When will you stop?! Just leave me alone..." She told me in a soft voice before rushing past me. I grabbed her by the arm, refusing to let her leave without giving me a proper answer this time. "Why are you so afraid of getting close to me?!" I rushed.

"You really want to know?!" She shouted back at me.

"Yes. Please!"

"I'm in love with you, River!"