Chapter eight: Harmoni

It's you! He's in love with you!

My brain told me as I woke up, this is the fifth day in a row I'd woke up with this thought. I smiled to myself, realising it was Friday, meaning I had two hours of science with River today and I was working for him the whole weekend.

I picked up my phone and checked the time, seeing a message from Dan. Received 1:07AM. Odd, he never texts me during the night.

I felt my heart burst into a million pieces when I read the message... It couldn't be, could it?! HOW?! MY Danny? The only person who has ever been there for me! I read the message over again...

Harmoni, please do not cry over me, please do not miss me too much. I know how selfish this is of me to leave you, but I can't watch you suffer anymore! I'm so sorry for leaving you... I have nothing left over here, I can't even afford for us to talk anymore! I'm completely broke, I have nothing! I can't even afford food, let alone a ticket to you! I'm so sorry... I love you so much. I hope you can forgive me.

Good luck, kid. You can do this, I believe in you! xxx

No
No

No

NO!

How could this be?! The only person I've ever really loved has left me?! I can never see his face again, I'll never hear his voice again. Maybe if I wasn't so selfish and had stopped thinking about myself so much I would have realised there was something wrong with him too....

*

I decided I couldn't go into school that day. I wouldn't be able to look at anyone without seeing Danny. All I wanted at this time was to be in the same place as Danny. I tried ringing him. Over, and over. And over. There was no reply, I had been calling him for four hours straight. I knew I had no choice but to accept it. I didn't know how I could ever cope with all of this, especially after all the things that have happened with River. I just needed Danny. And now he's left me...

*

A week had past and I still hadn't been to school, I didn't even go to River's on the weekend, I didn't even give a reason. I thought I had better go back this weekend to make sure I still had a job...

I walked up the drive and knocked on the front door. "Well, well, well." River spoke, opening the door to me. "Care to explain your absence last week?"

"If you didn't notice, I wasn't in school either!"

"No, I noticed. If I cared I would've rang you." I didn't say anything, just walked in. He let out a long sigh. "Look, I didn't mean to snap, I hope you're okay. It's just... Well.. He's still not back.."

What?! His father still wasn't back? It's been weeks! "Oh." I said, giving him a slight sympathetic look. "Well-" I started, deciding it may not be such a good idea to carry on.

"What?" He asked harshly.

"Well you've never really liked him anyway. You made that clear to him quite a few times..."

"What's it to you?! Just... Get on with your work please, Harmoni." He snapped, walking away. I let out a sigh and carried on with my work like I would usually.

It got to about lunchtime and I had no more work to do so I was just talking with the woman I had caught with River's father. "I'm sorry I told him about you two, I just thought he had a right to know, you know? Considering he's not allowed to speak to any of the other maids..."

"It's okay, I understand." She said with a light smile. "So, how come you weren't here last week?" She asked, changing the subject. "Well, erm. I don't think I can tell you."