Chapter 21

As I ventured deeper and deeper into the depths of the jungle, sudden cries of strange looking birds made me become very aware of the fact that something could be hunting me while I was trying to hunt someone else. I quickly pulled out a spear from my bag for protection, just the thought of something or someone watching me made me nervous. Along the way I found a nest full of tiny eggs that I thought would make a nice meal for this evening. I then found a group of plants with large leaves. These would do just fine to wrap up the eggs in to stop them from smashing, I thought as I started to pick them. Once I had wrapped the eggs up, I got up and carried on deeper into the jungle. I suddenly felt nervous at what I was about to do. I was intending on killing another girl. It all felt so wrong but before I could even turn back for the camp, there was a rustling in the trees. I felt my heart stop as I saw a pair of black army boots appear from the bottom of the trees. Then I saw an arm, a leg, light brown hair and a crooked smile. Not Nixie. Chalice. Out she came from the shadows and into the light. She looked pretty smashed up to say she was a career. I wonder who had coursed that much damage on such a powerful being? Suddenly I saw her whip out an axe, it was quite ironic as the tributes from my district were well known for using axes and yet here she was, a career tribute with a district 7 weapon. Lets hope she doesn't know how to use it. Suddenly she swings it violently, just skimming my face by a few centimetres. And then again and again. Each time I dodge it with only a few centimetres to spare. But on the fourth attempt, she gets me, it's not a deep slash, but it's enough to cause my face to open up. As I put my hand to the cheek were she slashed me, again another slash. Straight across my hand this time. I need to get out of there. As I dart round looking for an escape rout, I notice she's running at a rather fast pace behind me. Suddenly I have an idea, it's a gruesome one. But it's the only way to get out of here alive. I tumble to the ground and face her as she launches herself at me. As she jumps I stick my spear straight up in the air. She lands straight on top of it and screams as it pierces straight through her stomach. And then she's dead. Her eyes still open and bloodshot. Looking straight at me. No movement. A loud boom of the cannon suddenly breaks my gaze into her dead eyes. My first kill. I quickly push her heavy body away from me as I throw up all over the jungle floor. It's a gruesome sight. Blood is splattered everywhere. All over her stomach, all over my face, In my hair, my mouth. I can't believe what I have just done. My stomach turns at the thought of Caleb watching this all live. I have to get out of there. So I do, I run for the camp. Not looking back.