Chapter 22

As I ran back to the camp, my disturbed thoughts about what I had just witnessed were disrupted by a loud boom of the cannon...another tribute dead? No...no it can't be. But I was right, as I approached the camp I saw them. Calix was crouched on the floor with Raven in his arms. Ravens eyes were closed, his chest wasn't moving. He was dead. I ran up to him and shook his arm begging him to wake up. I chocked on my tears as I tugged on his arm violently. "Darcy he's gone." Calix whispered quietly. "No! No he's not!" I screamed as I shook Raven again in an attempt to wake him up from death. Calix says nothing. He just wraps his arms around me and strokes my hair as he tries to calm me down. "It's alright, he died peacefully. He just fell asleep and didn't wake up. It was the best way to go." He said softly. This made me cry even harder as I knew that his death hadn't been that simple. He'd bled to death slowly. But Calix was just saying it to comfort me. "I want to leave." I said unable to look at Ravens body. "Alright." Calix whispered softly.When I stood up, Calix looked at me in shock. I forgot about the blood. "I ran into Chalice." I mumbled quietly. "And you...killed her?" He asked sounding almost shocked. "Yes. I can fight for myself you know." My words came out sharper than it meant for them to sound. "I can see that now." He whispered as he picked up everything he needed. We set off east leaving Ravens body behind laying peacefully on the ground. "He had a girlfriend back home." I said to Calix slowly. "Poor girl." He mumbled, clearly upset about this. "We should hunt." I said trying to change the subject. "We don't have any food left except these eggs." I said as I reached into my bag. But when I searched for the eggs, all I found was a pool of goo and bits of shattered shell in the bottom of my bag. I must have landed on them when I fell to the ground mid way through Chalices attack. "Well we did have eggs." I sighed. "It doesn't matter." Calix chuckled. "We'll just look for something else to eat." He smiled. I wished I had never formed an alliance with Calix. He was such a nice person and i would have to watch him die sooner or later, or the opposite way round. Suddenly the pain from the slashes that Chalice had given me shot through me like a bullet. "What's wrong?" I heard Calix ask me. But I couldn't answer him, everything was spinning. I couldn't see, I felt my knees go and that was it. I was out cold.