Chapter 29

I couldn't breath. I felt as though I was going to die right there. Was this a dream? Please tell me it was. I pinched myself over and over again in an attempt to wake myself up. But this was no dream. This was reality, I'd just watched yet another one of my friends die an extremely horrific death. My last friend. I now had no one. Everything went silent. There was no one to talk to now, I was on my own. Suddenly I felt my legs give way as I fell to the floor. I couldn't take it any longer, i curled up on the ground and placed my hands over my head. And that's when I started to cry. I cried and cried, trying to choke myself on my own tears. He's dead. Only an hour ago we were talking about what we would do if we won the games and now...he's dead. Suddenly the sound of beeping drifted through the air. A sponsor? Why now? I'm not hurt, mentally yes. But not physically. I got up slowly, still shaking from the trauma, and made my way over to the sound. I was shocked to find food inside the capsule. Crackers, cheese and a small bottle of water. And of course, a note. I opened up the note to find a larger message inside, it wasn't that long, but it was longer than the others. 'Stay strong. I love you.' I read out loud. That small note from Caleb some how gave me the strength to carry on. And with that, I got up and started to walk once again. As I walked, I realised that I had nothing left apart from the food I had just been given, we had dropped the bags earlier on, meaning that I had no sleeping bag, no other food (except what I had now) and most importantly, no weapon. There was absolutely no way I could win the games now. The other two tributes were bound to have ridiculously large weapons and here I was stuck with nothing. Unless you count a stick as a weapon. This was going to be a long night. As day turned to night, i decided to settle down on the ground and eat the food Caleb had kindly sent me. I ate the lot, not bothering to save any...I mean...what's the point in saving it? Tomorrow will probably be my last day in the games anyway. As i shoved my hands in my pockets in an attempt to keep warm, I felt something papery in my pocket. When I pulled it out, I found three small notes. They were the notes that Caleb had sent me with my sponsors. I read them all over and over again until I finally drifted off to sleep. Sadly, I wasn't woken by the morning sun, I was woken by a sound. And that's when I saw him. Stood tall with a machete in his hand. Then he said something... "Hello Darcy."