Chapter 26

Caleb's P.O.V

"This is for Raven." I heard her whisper in Nixie's ear. I watched in shock as she pulled the dagger high above her head and plunged it straight into the girls heart. I looked round to see the capitol people's sick excitement as they watched Nixie die in a matter of seconds. This was wrong. This was all wrong. Darcy shouldn't have had to do this, I saw the pain in her eyes as she stood up from the dead body. She walked away and never looked back. I never expected her to be able to commit such a brutal murder. But I guess she was now one step closer to coming back to me. I wanted to hold her, I wanted to stroke her hair. I wanted to tell her that she was safe in my arms. But I couldn't. I could only watch as time ticked away. Each second was one second closer to either her victory or her death...the screen then moved to find Calix. He was running frantically, obviously worrying that the boom of the cannon had symbolised Darcy's death. But the relief on his face when he eventually found her was so strong. It was almost as if he actually had feelings for her. I felt a lump in my throat as I watched him wrap his arms around her and wipe the blood from her stomach. Her stomach. I needed to somehow convince someone to sponsor her before it got infected. This was going to take a lot of convincing. But I had to if there was any way of getting her back alive. I needed her to come home to me. I watched in horror as the screen showed a close up of her injury. A slice across her stomach. It looked excruciatingly painful, I was just about to look away because I hated seeing her in pain, when something caught my eye. The ring on her finger I had sent to her stylist to give to her as her district token. Only it wasn't just a district token. It was an engagement ring. I promised myself I would propose to her properly if she came out but I felt it wasn't enough, I had to send her something. Just to make sure that she knew I loved her, just to make sure she knew exactly what I meant. Suddenly I had an idea on how to do it. All I needed to do was send her a sponsor to heal her stomach with another note. This time the note would have the most important message any tribute would have ever received in the hunger games from their mentor. Two words...that's all I would write. Two words. These two words would prove my love to her and win over the capitol at the same time. Two words...